Bluing

Georgy

Im very new to shotguns and looking at getting my first gun.

But I have seen the term "bluing" used a few times and wondered what it is or what it refers to?

its a chemical coating on barrels etc 99% shotguns are blued as are a fair few rifles ,is a fairly good rust protection aslong as its oiled ,wiped down

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bump an old thread rather than starting a new one.

Does the bluing wear out? How does this manifest itself, is it a big problem and how's it rectified?

Looking at secondhand shotguns and some ads state that the bluing is "still in great conbdition" which makes me wonder about the ads that stay quiet on the matter.

Glueing/blacking can get thin on areas of high wear such as the barrel muzzles on multi-choke guns, trigger guards, top levers etc. I've occasionally seen blacking get thin around where the forend touches the barrels too. When the blacking is thin you can see the shiny silver colour of the steel beneath, or worse, the steel rusting.

I've occasionally seen steel bubbling with rust under areas that are still blacked, so whatever gun you look at, give all the blacked/blued components a good look before buying. If they're a bit thin it's not the end of the world, and you can get them reblacked quite reasonably from members on here to a very good standard.