Day Old Chicks for Ferrets.

Norrie

Hiya, Just had my mate down for a visit...he's telling me, he's started doing raptor feed and supplies, and in the next couple of weeks will be breeding and selling Rats, Mice, Quail and also frozen day old chicks @ £10 for 250 ...I've booked two blocks of them, delivery this coming week... :good: I've got four hungry ferrets to feed...

He feeds his ferrets 2 chicks a day, so, works out much cheaper than tinned/dry food...he also occasionally supplements the chicks with some dry food , rabbit and crows, and the odd rat now and then.......:)

If anyone in C.Scotland wants his number...PM me chaps, and you'll have it..:)

ferts get no nutriently value from DOC what so ever, the chicks still have the egg sack, which will put your ferts permantly on the trots :no:

far better either dry biscuit, or butchers scraps

I was told a similar thing when feeding DOCs to Birds of Prey and that I needed to remove the egg sak before feeding them! I can see no rerason why DOCs could not be used to substitute a ferrets diet if the egg saks are removed though!

If I am wrong maybe someone could correct me!

I was told a similar thing when feeding DOCs to Birds of Prey and that I needed to remove the egg sak before feeding them! I can see no rerason why DOCs could not be used to substitute a ferrets diet if the egg saks are removed though!

It takes seconds to remove the egg sac from DOC's...I feed then to my Barn Owl.

Got to say there's not much on them though.

Hiya, Yep, remove the egg sack first tho...I knew that one..:) My mate has had raptors for over 25 years, and at present keeps over 20..and ferrets for longer than that....approx 30 years.....so, I will bow to his greater knowledge....I'll also be buying rats from him, seemingly, they are one of the best foods available for Ferrets, full of the right proteins etc.. :blink: I'm trying to give my ferrets a varied diet, not the same stuff day in, day out...and really think these DOC will make a great addition to their diet..and for the price, fantastic value... :good:

BTW, he gives his aninmals app 4 doc each a day...NOT 2 as I said...d'oh!!!! :blush:

well of the few things i know a good bit about its ferrets, i have over 300 rosets and 40 odd trophies for winning shows with the wee ******* and mine lived almost all ways on DOC and road kill.

LOL, Nice one Neil, so my mate does know a thing or two...?? Good to hear you know about ferrets...be prepared for LOTS of questions... :good:

I've just returned to owning them after a break of many years...so, need to catch up..:)