Rabbits today

mrpip

Quick write up & a couple of pics, been out today 60 acre maize field to combine. This is a U shape field surrounded by public woodland, slow going for the combine due to shape and undulating field plus distance from farm for the trailer. 3 guns so I stayed at one end all day. Picked 18 rabbits, highlight of the day had 2 for one shot twice, first time I've done that twice in a day both when the combine was at the other end of the field. Best flush got 5 out of 6 the other ran back under the combine, packed up at half five pitch black, shot the last one with the tractor lights on the end of the row (floodlight rabbiting). Back out again tomorrow to finish the last couple of bits. Total bag for 3 guns 44 picked.

post-13005-0-02000200-1321555028.jpgpost-13005-0-86061100-1321555051.jpg

Nice! :good:

Do you have a quick way of skinning and gutting them? For me good days on rabbits always tended to end with the "oh ****** now I got to process the *******!" :blush:

Hi, allways gut up in the field, way I skin them, chop off all 4 legs, part the skin off the belly flap one side, cut the outer fur, pull fur off towards head & tail together threading over legs, remove head & tail, cut between back legs to remove tubes etc job done, just done 11 in about 25 mins. Pic of end product ready for jointing, good bits for human consumption rest for dog meat, Tried to explain it hope it helps

post-13005-0-18364900-1321559239.jpg

Edited by mrpip

Quick write up & a couple of pics, been out today 60 acre maize field to combine. This is a U shape field surrounded by public woodland, slow going for the combine due to shape and undulating field plus distance from farm for the trailer. 3 guns so I stayed at one end all day. Picked 18 rabbits, highlight of the day had 2 for one shot twice, first time I've done that twice in a day both when the combine was at the other end of the field. Best flush got 5 out of 6 the other ran back under the combine, packed up at half five pitch black, shot the last one with the tractor lights on the end of the row (floodlight rabbiting). Back out again tomorrow to finish the last couple of bits. Total bag for 3 guns 44 picked.

post-13005-0-02000200-1321555028.jpgpost-13005-0-86061100-1321555051.jpg

most excellant m8

Hi, allways gut up in the field, way I skin them, chop off all 4 legs, part the skin off the belly flap one side, cut the outer fur, pull fur off towards head & tail together threading over legs, remove head & tail, cut between back legs to remove tubes etc job done, just done 11 in about 25 mins. Pic of end product ready for jointing, good bits for human consumption rest for dog meat, Tried to explain it hope it helps

Nice, sounds pretty much like me only I take 'em home to do and obviously make a meal of it!! ahem...sorry about the pun. :blush:

I always end up using a cleaver on the legs as find it difficult with a knife. Is there a 'nac' or am I cack handed?

I miss shooting rabbits.. Must get a new permission!

Cheers! :good: