Making a gun slip?

andy198712

have many people made a gunslip?

My girlfriend is pretty handy on the sowing machine and i had an idea to try and make a gunslip/bag

what would you use for materials? avoiding leather.

i thought one outer material and a nice soft inner, something that wont hold water in it was a thought i had also, so if it goes in a tad wet it wont still be wet in there next time i take the gun out. soft material but that wont leave fluff in and around the gun.

then maybe a buckle closing and a strip for the shoulder ect....

idea's and comments?

yes i know i could buy one, but thats not the point :lol:

Cheers

Andy

It's always nice to make your own stuff. I'd make the outside of a hard wearing material and can maybe wipe down if it gets mucky then. Inside would be nice as silk something. What ever feel nice from down b and m or from boyes. There the general tat shops that sell everything

Gunslips should suit the gun and the type of shooting your doing. I have more than a few no two are the same. The shortage in the uk is lightweight, packable, fold away types which are built to last, seems simple but have a look whats out there nothing forfills all this. Problem is gunslips are generally very available, so is it worth it? you could pay more for the stuff unless you have the raw material to start with, which comes back to your question i recon :good:

But it doesn't matter how much you pay. There's always a better feeling using something you have made and even better, getting compliments on what you have made.

Besides it will always be a 1 off and none others like it. Watch your fingers tho, an get some pics up after you've completed it.

Gunslips should suit the gun and the type of shooting your doing. I have more than a few no two are the same. The shortage in the uk is lightweight, packable, fold away types which are built to last, seems simple but have a look whats out there nothing forfills all this. Problem is gunslips are generally very available, so is it worth it? you could pay more for the stuff unless you have the raw material to start with, which comes back to your question i recon :good:

tis true, but then you could argue you could buy anything these days, there's just somehting nice in making it yourself, could also turn out better quality and longer lasting

But it doesn't matter how much you pay. There's always a better feeling using something you have made and even better, getting compliments on what you have made.

Besides it will always be a 1 off and none others like it. Watch your fingers tho, an get some pics up after you've completed it.

:good: will do

how about a wax cotton style outside?

yeah i was thinking that, something with the toughness of say denim or like you say, waxed cotton

It's always nice to make your own stuff. I'd make the outside of a hard wearing material and can maybe wipe down if it gets mucky then. Inside would be nice as silk something. What ever feel nice from down b and m or from boyes. There the general tat shops that sell everything

i was also thinking between my two layers add in some foam (i think loose padding will move about) something like carpet underlay.

i'll have a look around the local fabric shops and see what sort of things they have in stock and i can have a feel ect.

thanks for the advice :)

some 1000d cordura would work well for the outside bud,then somthing like 400d for the inside,very hard wearing provided its stiched and edged well,nice and simple quite water resistant folds up small and most important of all a home sewing machine will go threw the fabric no probs ;)

What might be good on the inside is that thin silky/nylony (?) stuff that they sell in backpackers shops as micro towels - they say it is high "wicking" fabric, dries really quickly and would pull any moisture away from the metal of the gun?