Creating new flight pond

I'm about to create two new flight ponds but would appreciate input as to the dynamics of it all - shape, size, depth. Also, what could/should be planted around it?

One would be located on high ground on a marsh (no running water), the other a lot lower down with a spring feeding through/into it.

Thanks,

Snipe.

There are various texts on creating flight ponds but most of it boils down to a few simple things. First make sure there are lots of shallows for the greater area of the pond surface so, for example create a 'wavy shoreline' that is as long as possible - essentially lots of little bays which are no deeper than 8" or so. This means there are plenty of areas to 'feed-in' the ducks and allow them to dabble and take the barley from the surface or just under it. This is sometimes called the marginal zone.

If you are creating a pond which you may use for wildlife generally, put a few fish in it etc. ensure there is a deep section, maybe 5 or 6 feet so that, in winter, there will always be unfrozen water for other pond life and any fish.

Make sure there are no large trees (over 50 ') on the edge of the pond and it there are, I would coppice them and allow to grow from the stump, as this will creat a natural hide you can add to and wont impede the birds landing.

Put in the hides as you develop the pond and plant some natural pond greenery around them - bullrush or great reed mace (willow is good)to conceal them naturally.

Set them about 15 yds back from the pond or at the edge, it doesnt matter as they are concealed. Build the bases of the hides upon a hardwood base (oak etc) above any wet ground and the hide will be dry and comfy. Make sure you have clear shooting ground and visibility around your proposed pond as you want to be able to take ducks at all angles and heights and not just when they 'clear ' any trees.

Best to use existing marshy ground or location of a dew pond and do contact your local council (after agreeing with the landowner) to see if there are any 'habitat creation' grants available as there sometimes are and the value to other wildlife would justify it - say the hides are for 'observation'. The more open the pond, the less able you will be to approach it unseen, the more however the ducks will like it. Best option her is to dig one in a slight depression so you are not visible until close enough to shoot or get into the hide(s) unseen. Or move the hides back far enough that you can approach with anyone else and remain unseen. Your dog will flush any birds already on the pond

When you have set to, post a few pics for us will you? All the best

Awesome! Thanks a lot Kes. Top notch advice there, advice that I will definitely adhere to.

Thanks for your time and input. I will definitely keep you posted. Not likely to be until the new year, but making plans now.

Thanks again,

Snipe.

contact your local council (after agreeing with the landowner) to see if there are any 'habitat creation' grants available as there sometimes are and the value to other wildlife would justify it - say the hides are for 'observation'.

That is something I would never have thought of!! The found this after your advice:

http://www.pondconservation.org.uk/advice/fundingforyourpondproject

Awesome! could end up saving me a packet.

Thanks again,

Snipe.

Good luck with the ponds and if you ever need a hand on a digger - I've been known to drive one. I'm in Chester.

This is a really worthwhile project and it will provide you with hours of observation of the wildlife it creates and plenty of tasty duck !

Pure satisfaction.

Oh - by the way it can be very important to 'seed' your pond with some well rotted cow muck. This will be put in after the pond is filled and will provide starter nutrition for bugs and algae but not too much. A couple of barrow loads in a 30-50' diameter pond will get things going.

Cheers

72ad9f3b.jpg

this was me on the way to dig our new flight pond one sunday morning in May .

i wouldn`t really be thinking about digging in the middle of winter as everything is very wet at the moment . We waited untill we hadn`t had any rain for 3 weeks then went and got digging , even after all that drying we still really struggled in the wet and could easily have got a 13 toner stuck.

due to the wet conditions we didn`t get as much dug out as we wanted too but we are planning on getting the digger again in spring to extend the pond . my advice would be make it as big as you can in the space you have so you are not disturbing things to go and make it bigger !!!

ours is around 30` by 50` with a island in the middle with a auto feeder on it , we dug it in may and have still not shot it yet as the teal all seem to favour a splash just over the hill from the pond . Every time i feed the splash i put up around 30 teal but we can`t seem to catch them flighting properly :hmm:

5bb9351c.jpg

this is the only pic i can find at the moment , as you can see we had loads of space to make a pond and it is very wet . The bushes you can see in the pic got dug up and replanted around the edge of the pond to put hides in

Sorry, missed your replies Alastair, but thanks a lot for them. It is very wet at the moment and I may well wait until the Spring now.

Thanks,

Snipe.