Hornet versus Bees (videoclip)

Teal

Interesting. I thought bees would swarm to protect a hive and do a better job than that.

The farm I shoot has bee hives that have to be negotiated. There are about 6 hives where the bees are very placid and you can stand about 5 feet away and they will ignore you. However, there is one hive containing smaller, darker, English bees and they are very very angry. On Saturday I had one chase me 75 yards (yes, I thought a swarm was on the way so I was running and screaming like a girl clear accross the farm yard) and then it stung me on the eye lid.

Nice honey mind you.

Anyhows, I have never killed a bee but will go out of my way to take out wasps - probably an irrational by product of being stung repeatedly on the back of my ear when I was young.

Last year I found nests in the eves of the house and so rigged up an aqua vac hoover near the nest entrance and left it on for an hour. That clears em straight out.

if a bee comes in the house i will help it back out, if its a jasper IT DIES tell a lie if i se a jasper and i am close enough it dies

dont matter which come into my place neither die coz of me, coz i dont stick around long enuf lol :yes::good:

have to get one of guys i live with to remove it lol :huh:

Saw a program the other night on this - they are japanese hornets and kill european bees because they are alien. Japanese bees have a superb mechanism for defence where they smother the scout hornet (which locates the hive first) and vibrate thus overheating the hornet and roasting it to death - the honey bees can withstand 117 degrees the hornet only 113 hence kaput - the introduced european bees have no such defence and are basically massacred.

Jesus i need to get out more - you can tell i've been off work ill and watching national geographical :good:

And they sure look mean b******ds - about 3" long (that reminds me of someat else :)