sporting shots

mark g

we like many shoots have some neighbouring land that is shot by what you could loosely term as rough shooters, they are basically feeding our birds over the boundary, they are not shooting many but the annoying thing for me is that they shoot them 2ft off the ground and 10ft from the end of the barrel, its a disappointing end for a bird that you have put a lot of effort into rearing and i have always wondered what satisfaction they gain from this, its no more sporting than shooting a myxied rabbit really, our local irritants were out this morning and i almost stopped and offered them yesterdays roadkill, they seem that desperate to have a few badly smashed pheasants

we like many shoots have some neighbouring land that is shot by what you could loosely term as rough shooters, they are basically feeding our birds over the boundary, they are not shooting many but the annoying thing for me is that they shoot them 2ft off the ground and 10ft from the end of the barrel, its a disappointing end for a bird that you have put a lot of effort into rearing and i have always wondered what satisfaction they gain from this, its no more sporting than shooting a myxied rabbit really, our local irritants were out this morning and i almost stopped and offered them yesterdays roadkill, they seem that desperate to have a few badly smashed pheasants

Hi Mark g, Well you cold try talking to the next door land owner if you know him, (if not try speaking to the chap who you rent land off if thats what you do) We had the very same problem and did speak to the next door land owner through our farmer and they were told to remove their feeders from the boundary I know its not going to make them more sporting but at least you wont have to stand and watch it.But of cause you must make sure that you dont have feeders on the boundary yourselfs.

Hi Mark g, Well you cold try talking to the next door land owner if you know him, (if not try speaking to the chap who you rent land off if thats what you do) We had the very same problem and did speak to the next door land owner through our farmer and they were told to remove their feeders from the boundary I know its not going to make them more sporting but at least you wont have to stand and watch it.But of cause you must make sure that you dont have feeders on the boundary yourselfs.

i dont use feeders i hand feed, its not the numbers that bother me because they are not shooting any amount, its just the way they shoot the birds that i find annoying, i am a fulltime single handed keeper and do my best to show sporting birds, to see your hard work shot like vermin is bloody irritating,

i can be bloody irritating as well, up till now i have given them the benefit of trusting them but they have shot bits that they said they were not going to and generally been a bit dishonest about things, well if thats the state of play i have to play the game also and step up a measure ;)

Sounds like novices to me, words with the landowner would be my way forward with a view to getting him onside.

A

novices is an accurate description, we have had ongoing negotiations with the agent and the lessees , if they put some birds down themselves there would be no issue, also i suspect that they might be a bit more sporting if they had paid for them

Edited by mark g

i dont use feeders i hand feed, its not the numbers that bother me because they are not shooting any amount, its just the way they shoot the birds that i find annoying, i am a fulltime single handed keeper and do my best to show sporting birds, to see your hard work shot like vermin is bloody irritating,

i can be bloody irritating as well, up till now i have given them the benefit of trusting them but they have shot bits that they said they were not going to and generally been a bit dishonest about things, well if thats the state of play i have to play the game also and step up a measure ;)

To be perfectly honest this is a typical situation but sadly they are doing nothing wrong. You say they shot bits they said they were not going to, assuming they have permission to be on the land then they simply changed their minds, no crime there either. As for stepping up a measure can I suggest that you don't do anything stupid that puts your job, certificate etc in jeopardy. What have you got planned?

Good luck on resolving the situation, I hope the land owner comes round to your way of thinking.

To be perfectly honest this is a typical situation but sadly they are doing nothing wrong. You say they shot bits they said they were not going to, assuming they have permission to be on the land then they simply changed their minds, no crime there either. As for stepping up a measure can I suggest that you don't do anything stupid that puts your job, certificate etc in jeopardy. What have you got planned?

Good luck on resolving the situation, I hope the land owner comes round to your way of thinking.

nothing illegal i shall just catch up the birds on that edge and move them elsewhere, its just an early start to catching up thats all