U caller

scotland rifles

ok lads just how far does your U caller work from,

the book says 100 yards, i would love to know how far yours can be placed away from you and you can still operate it,

I have done a modification to mine and the distance we can operate it so far is gob smacking,

so come on lads lets see just how far you can control it from,

bob.

both myself and 1S1K on this forum tested my long range modification last night to see how far it would work and i think it will go further as we could not see mine anymore last night so we had to stop at ... yards :)

this is the caller we are using

post-3548-0-56641400-1323861060.jpg

Edited by scotland rifles

I only realised the other day, after only getting about 30 yds by waving it about in the air that the remote had an aerial to pull up :blush: . I only use mine to about 50 - 75 yds ( normally just use base unit ), i would expect range is governed by state of batteries for a normal unit.

As bob has said I was with him on the golf course last night. I must admit I thought this mod would not work as I thought the distance would be governed by the aerial in the hand remote rather than the caller itself.

I have to admit I was gob smacked last night at just how far this worked and as bob said we had to stop as we could no longer see the red light which was our indicator as to if the remote was working as the sound as this distance was very hard for us to hear.

now I no the distance but all I will say is I am having the same thing done to mine

so come on lads whats your best distance.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine arrived and it did what the makers said 100yds no problem, but I didnt try any further, but im keen to hear what you have done. Guessing an ariel fitted to the reciever ? :hmm:

Ok lads well here we have 2 that are the same apart from my one on the right has been modded to give it a longer range of control.

the first thing we have to do is open the back by removing the 6 screws, all 6 are star type with 4 of them hidden behind the battery compartment door, please be carfull not to loose these as they are very small and hard to replace,

I leave the batteries in the back section at this point so that they don't get lost,

the next thing we do is expose the internals of the unit ready for the modification to be done.note: at this point the batter pack power leads (red and black) are still connected to the unit, at the top of the left hand section there is the coiled up antenna (the white thing) this is the bit that will be trimmed later on.

the next thing to do is to remove and keep hold of the on off switch **** and the cover for the external speaker output, those are the 2 items on the top right of the picture, the larger one is the one that always breaks so don't worry they all do it.

the next picture shows you the location of the Antenna in the unit and where its connected to the PCB,we have to trim this shorter a bit late so for now ?

PLEASE DO NOT CUT IT OFF HERE I WILL SHOW YOU LATER

the screwdriver is pointing to the ant connection point.this part is not loose and will stay put when you are working on it, so the is no need to panic (that comes later.)

the pext picture shows you the internal Antenna layed out along side the new Antenna,

a note at this point, i have tried the unit with the white Antenna as you see it but i only got about 50 yards from it and i lost the control of the base unit,

the next thing we have to do is remove the unwanted section of white Antenna and solder a loop to it so that we can connect it to the new Antenna, we also need to drill a hole in the top of the unit (front section/1/2) to allow the installation of the new Antenna,

the hole needs to be 1mm wider than the new Antennas base section and in this case its 9mm so i had to use a 8mm drill and then open the hole out with a small round file,this you will see in the next photo, after this one,

this photo shows the old white Antenna and the new one to be fitted along side it.

this one shows the 8mm hole drilled in the front section of the unit.

this one shows you the white Antenna trimmed about 3/4" from the PCB so that we can use it to connect to the new Antenna, at this point i also solder the loop to it ready for that connection.

this picture here shows the new Antenna in location connected to the old wire Antenna,

We have to hold this in position with a home made small bracket and some HOT glue, you must take care in a bit NOT to get glue on the internal speaker when you are filling the gap shown next with HOT glue.

NOTE: we i use HOT glue as it can be removed with care, any other glue may cause you issues later if you need to replace the Antenna/fix it etc.

this is the location where the HOT glue is placed as seen in the next picture.

Hot glue in location, you may have to fill it 2 or three times depending on the glue you use etc.

NOTE: i have kept the HOT glue away from the speaker by holding it tilted towards the Antenna when filling it up.

At this point the new Antenna is fitted and the glue is setting at this point i would leave it for about 10 minutes to cool and set hard, i have also soldered the power cables back in place ready to get the unit back together,

Now the unit is back together by replacing the screws batteries and battery cover and the switches back in place, but be carful when screwing it back together the screws are small and will keep tuning if you are to heavy handed and then you have problems with a unit that will fall apart,

the final thing to do is to fit a outer sleeve over the Antenna and glue it in place, (the small black thing at the bottom of the Antenna, this adds a strong point to the Antenna base holding it to the top of the unit,

I then cover the tip of that antenna with a small rubber cap to prevent you geting hurt etc in the dark,

so what do we need to do this,

TOOLS.

1, new Antenna, these can be found on a old radio control car, or from maplins for about £5+ shipping

2, a soldering iron and solder.

3, a small star screwdriver.

4, a HOT glue gun and glue stick.

5, a small pair of pliers.

6, a small pair of cable cutters.

7, the unit you are doing the work too and its controller (for testing later)

the job should take you about 30 minutes from start to finish, if you can use a soldering iron and a glue gun. you have to take care with the unit at all times as its not the best made thing on the market, but it works and with the modification done it works even better,

I hope to test it tomorrow night when out shooting so i will report back.

the cost for me to do this was nothing as i had the Antenna in the tool box but you will only need to spend about £10 in total to do this yourself,

so good luck lads and lassies.

hope you like it.

thank you

bob.

sorry lads the pictures did not come with the text .

well miffed

bob.