rules regards keeping a HGV licence valid

shawn9914

Hi All

I passed my HGV class one 21 years ago and i used it to great lengths driving all over europe as a genaral haulier it was fantastic i was never at home spent loads of weekends on the coast of spain portugal etc etc but then got a normal job as we wanted to start a family and i wanted to see the kids grow up not be away in a truck all the time

My question is i have not used it now for about 7 years and keep meaning to go and do a bit of agency work to keep my hand it and to be honest i miss it a bit

The thing is my mate is taking his class one on friday and he said the instructor has told him he needs to do 35 hrs per year to keep his licence valid and i am now worried my licence may be invalid as i have not driven a HGV for 7 years

i renewed my licence earlier in the year and it came back with all my classes on it so do any of you lot know if i need to do 35 hrs a week just to keep my licence valid or have i got some sort of grand father rights due to passing my HGV before a certain date or something

if anyone knows please reply as i am really stumped by this

cheers shawn

hi shawn, as long as you have a valid licence and have had a medical if that applies to you, you can drive on grandfathers rights till 2014,If you intend to drive after 2014 you will have to take the cpc course which comprises of 5 modules totaling 35 hours over 5 years, As we are approaching 2012 you will have to sit these before 2014.The course is based on a no pass no fail thing where you attend and watch a few videos and do some written tests very boring, I am doing module 3 next Wednesday thru my company,As you are only doing agency work you've got to ask yourself be worth doing it or just do it till 2014

hope this makes sense to you

atb kenny

Hi Shawn. I stopped driving HGV's a few years ago (continental like yourself, man don't I miss it!) and let it lapse. A call to DVLA told me that as long as I passed a medical it would be reinstated. This was a few years ago so the rules may have changed. My advice would be to give DVLA a call. ATB Richard