Hello

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this request is posted in the right section but here goes.

I need some advice and hope that some knowledgeable posters can help.

Due to health issues my granddad is no longer capable of holding a shotgun/firearms licence. Upon its recent renewal date we contacted the local police, who know my granddad through shooting events and gunsmith works. The police have now removed the guns for us and they are in safe keeping until we can arrange for them to be sold. All guns are registered and in excellent condition. Grandad was a garage gunsmith who spent many hours boring, stocking, fixing and blueing guns for local police officers and other shooters. His chequer work (if thats whatv its called) to the stocks was amazing to watch.

We have been brought up around these guns for as long as we can remember and have spent many a wet and windy weekend spreading corn, cooped up in a hide, cutting the spaniel out of barbed wire and shooting pigeons, teal, duck and rabbits. Sadly we now need to establish what we are actually dealing with and the value before considering selling them. The proceeds are going back into my granddads account for his use.

We have the following: - 12 Gauge Beretta o/u Shotgun - has serial number. 12 Gauge W Richards Side b side Shotgun - has serial number. 12 Gauge Bonehill Hammer Shotgun - has serial number. 20 Gauge Pollard S/S Shotgun - No serial number. 20 Gauge Leeson S/S Shotgun - has serial number. 20 Gauge Powell Muzzle Loader Shotgun - has serial number.

What would be helpful is to know if we can enter the serial number of each gun into a website or other location to find out the specific make/model/spec and year made for each of these guns. I read somewhere that this was possible but the links given didnt work. We have had one gentleman view the guns but he was quickly shown to the door after offering barely the value of one. We know that these guns are expensive and that one in particular is possibly collectable. We want to be able to achieve the best possible price subject to the usual market conditions and gun condition etc but need to verify what we have first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by shootersgrandson

HI and Welcome, as they are all shotguns and possibly valuable I would suggest someone in the family apply for an SGC and have them transferred. You don't want them sitting in a police store room!

Valuing guns is like anything, they are only only worth what someone will pay for them and trade money differs a lot to auction money and posh shop price ticket! You'll need an expert and one who will value accurately either for auction or insurance. BASC aren't a bad place to start and HOLT's are a big auctioneer who do valuing days around the country and have reps who will value collections.

The experts aren't charities so any "free valuation" will have a cost somewhere down the line.