thinking about reloading

Hi Mate to be honest you will not save on pigeon carts but if you have any chance of duck or geese shooting then you could save youself a few quid i have loaded some fox loads aswell, i bought a bulk load and i am still loading my own 32gn mo 6 carts but once that has gone it will be steel for wildfowling or heavey No3,1 and BB carts for rabbits and fox.

hope this helps

hi guys,

i was thinking about reloading my 12g cartridges, i shoot pigeons mainly and was wondering if it would be worth it, how much would i save per 1000, i would be grateful if anyone could clarify it?

thanks

David M

You'll only save money if you have a free and abundant supply of lead

1000 wads £ 18

28 kg shot £110

1.5 kg powder £ 50

1000 primers £ 34

total £212

now make your own shot Total £102

now thats a saving

I hope that you get in to reloading its a brilliant hobby most people on here are really helpful like those who have replied to others but then again one comes to mind who promises the world but just seems to be a "legend in his own lunchtime"

Deershooter

1000 wads £ 18

28 kg shot £110

1.5 kg powder £ 50

1000 primers £ 34

total £212

now make your own shot Total £102

now thats a saving

I hope that you get in to reloading its a brilliant hobby most people on here are really helpful like those who have replied to others but then again one comes to mind who promises the world but just seems to be a "legend in his own lunchtime"

Deershooter

Doesn't that rely on getting the lead for nowt though?

Edited by Vipa

FOLK STONE ENGINEERING SUPPLIES not his home made stuff Italian

or SIARM (just Google them )

Deershooter

depends if you have good mates who are roofers just swap a few cartridges

:lol::lol:

Mike & John... Hawkeye & Mag357 make their own shot and save a small fortune on carts... Their end product certainly seems to do the job on the clays & birds :yes:

Often thought about getting set up for it but I haven't got any contacts for lead and so would have to buy the shot in althou I think it was Mike who told me about a firm in europe who do shot very cheaply and ship free if you order a certain amount but I think you had to invest about £500 in it to get the free shipping..

I'm sure Mike will fill that gap in if anyone is interested.

Edit... I think you have already mentioned them Deershooter... Siarm.

Edited by Vipa

Yep... was SIARM that mike told me about.. 500Euros and they ship free so approx £450. That would give you 156kg of shot which would make 5570 28g loads so around £80 for your shot.. add that to Deershooters otherbits:

1000 wads £ 18

28kg shot £80

1.5 kg powder £ 50

1000 primers £ 34

= £182 per thousand.. now factor in the initial cost of the hardwear and you aren't that far off just buying carts..

I think with free or almost free lead it's a goer but without, personally I can't see any advantage... yep the hobby side of it but don't know if that would be come a chore after a while?

Edited by Vipa

Drop your guage to 28 and its better and 410 a must for reloading.

Roof lead scrap value is about £1 10 per kl so even buying it at that price its worth it.

Hardener? dont bother with it now and dont see much difference on game but long shots at clays yes.

Have a 100kl hopefully coming at some time, (lead flashing)but it is getting harder to obtain.

Wads? although i dont do it now, i have shot countles 1000s in my younger hard up days with no ill effects (appart from what i was hitting)most wads will fire without any noticeable difference appart than your pocket has a bit more in it.

Wads shot over water are the best bet as ussually dirt free, dont shoot wads thats been shot at bolting rabbit as these will have sand/dirt embedded in them, put them thru the washing m/c (WHEN THE WIFE ISNT ABOUT)you have been warned :no: then tumble dry.

Iam just going to my local clay shoot where my home loads will (hopefully) out perform the expensive shop bought cartridges and at half the price.

Shooting 209 primer, 22.5 grains psb3, b@p wad from SIARM at £16 per1000 bulk buy, and 28 gram load thru a Miroku 32"trap bored out to 1/4 1/2 and its a mean beast when pointed in the right place :) .A Happy reloading xmas to all,( a bag of shot instead of socks??) you never know unless you ask. john

Guest cookoff013

£180 /k is the tipping point.

although i bought a box of #5 phesent loads and the price was nearer £10 a box (£9.40 actually)

they were my favourite carts though.

but reloading cost fluctuates, if you like to shoot premium loads or 5,4,3s then reload, you save a fortune,

although i just use taylored low speed loads. my shoulder notices the difference.