100's of pigeons in roosting trees in the rain

Kes

A question for some of you seasoned pigeon watchers - proTom perhaps.

Very heavy rain today and the pigeons seemed to be roosting in the trees but about a 100yds from a crop of stubble turnips.

No obvious birds in the air although the turnips are on a well established flight line.

I have never seen so many for years, must have been upwards of 500 in a wood of maybe 2 acres.

The ground had a covering of snow, although it has now been largely washed away. Is it likely, as seems, that they are feeding on the turnip tops and flying back to roost when its too wet?

I suppose I have to get within sight of the turnips to confirm ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

To be honest, they could have been there for any number of reasons. If i were you i would investigate further if you see them there again. If they were seen sitting there all day, chances are their food source wasn't far away.

:stupid:

With snow on the ground they may of turned to the turnips but like said by motty there could be mainy reasons but if they have been there for the day agin like motty has said there food source will not be far away :thumbs: