filling a pcp

young airgunner

No. Firstly the valve is different on ever gun, and you will struggle to get the adaptor to fit onto the bicycle valve. Secondly you cant even get near the amount of pressure needed in the gun with a bicycle pump. It's 10 times the pressure of your bike tyres :angry:

So the answer to your question is no.

Well you dont have to get a specific pump for a specific gun, just the adaptor. The pumps are about 100quid, adaptor comes with gun.

In theory you could use an air compressor, but again, you would have to get the right attachment to fit the adaptor. Also, if i'm correct, most air compressors (big ones for impact wrenches etc.) only get about 150BAR pressure, so it wouldnt be too effective + would cost a packet more than a pump..

It only takes about 5 mins if that to fill a PCP using a pump, although it can be hard to fill a completely empty gun using a pump. Pumps have to be as much as they are because they have to deal with high pressures. Alternatly you could buy a secondhand divers bottle (look in yellow pages for local diving clubs) and get that filled with a suitable commpresser as this saves the arm work.

Henry

There is moisture in the ait all the time. A compressor just compresses the air as it is, with water in. A pump has a filter to remove moisture.

Moisture will get in your mechanism etc. = bad.

A divers bottle is far easier, but without a car, refilling it will be annoying as you might have to travel a fair distance to refil it.

A pump on the other hand does the job, never runs out and is about the same price, just requires 3 mins of elbow grease to pump the gun.

Best place to buy pump is your local gun shop... or maybe see if anyone is selling on here.

no ya cannot use a compressor to fill a gun compressors only run at 150psi not bar there is 14.7 psi to 1 bar there for 150 psi works out at 10 bar you need at least 150 bar most guns use around 200 bar which works out at around 2800 psi ya bike tyre will hold about 45 psi max for a bmx or mountain bike and around 100psi for a racer bike car tyres are only around 30 psi so it would take some pumping to get too 2800 psi hope i havent confused ya but i recommend a bottle bought my 15 ltr for £140 second hand and get about 45 fills of my gun its costs me £5 to have the bottle filled hope this will help ya out :angry:

no ya cannot use a compressor to fill a gun compressors only run at 150psi not bar there is 14.7 psi to 1 bar there for 150 psi works out at 10 bar you need at least 150 bar most guns use around 200 bar which works out at around 2800 psi ya bike tyre will hold about 45 psi max for a bmx or mountain bike and around 100psi for a racer bike car tyres are only around 30 psi so it would take some pumping to get too 2800 psi hope i havent confused ya but i recommend a bottle bought my 15 ltr for £140 second hand and get about 45 fills of my gun its costs me £5 to have the bottle filled hope this will help ya out :angry:

...we have just told him all of that think he's got the picture already :)

Well you dont have to get a specific pump for a specific gun, just the adaptor. The pumps are about 100quid, adaptor comes with gun.

In theory you could use an air compressor, but again, you would have to get the right attachment to fit the adaptor. Also, if i'm correct, most air compressors (big ones for impact wrenches etc.) only get about 150BAR pressure, so it wouldnt be too effective + would cost a packet more than a pump..

well i put it cause if ya read ya post it says 150 bar so i thought i would explain it more for him and it also states that in theory you could use a compressor

James,

You havent mentioned what rifle you are intending to fill. If it is a small capacity rifle then I would suggest a Hills Pump or the like. It equates to around 2 stokes of the pump for every shot to be taken.

If your intending using a high capacity rifle like a Rapid, S16, etc. then you might want to consider using an Airtank. These come in many different sizes and can be filled at a local Diver shop. This option is more expensive and you need access to a dive shop and also need the tank certificated every 5 years.

The last option is to get a compressor designed for high pressure fills. But you need to be weighed down with lots of money. Which is why most people choose one of the two options above.

I fill my enigma with the Hills pump. Not to hard, I've got the moisture filter also. Only takes a couple of minutes....I tend to cheat, pump it up when you've finished so that when you go to start next its all ready to go. Works for me....can be quite tiring pumping it up, but it doesnt take a minute =)

-Andrew

Just about the moisture filter...the hills pump as standard does NOT come with a moisture filter! Beware, you have to pay extra for it (About £49.95) and I think its only the mark2 version which supports the filter! because I fell into this trap...! Also the moisture filter uses granules which you have to also buy extra (about £3 a sachet in the right places) and these need to be preplaced every 6 months or so depending on frequency of use, but its definately a good idea to have an anti-moisture system!

-Andrew

I use a pump on my S16, it can be hard work (specially for an old giffa like me) but you will ALWAYS have air :good: . Another alternative is to take your rifle (or cylinder if it's removeable) to your gunshop as most good ones now have compressors normally costs about 2 quid.

P03