Pheasant Shoot

tomleatel

Hi All

I'm going on my first pheasant shoot next week, and just wanted to checkout some of the ground rules.

As I understand it, it will be a day shooting from pegs, and I think there is about half a dozen or so pegs.

Any help or advise greatly appreciated

Thanks

Terry

1. Safety

2. Quarry Identification.

3. Check exactly what you can and cant shoot..ie no ground game or hens.

4. Correct dress code.

5. Pegs, how many places do you move and are they numbered R-L or L-R.

6. Do you pay the beaters/keeper tips.

7. No unruly dogs. If you have a dog can you take it.

I am sure other will add to this, but at least you have a few points to think about.

Hi All

I'm going on my first pheasant shoot next week, and just wanted to checkout some of the ground rules.

As I understand it, it will be a day shooting from pegs, and I think there is about half a dozen or so pegs.

Any help or advise greatly appreciated

Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry,

1st - the right equipment to take and clothing to wear before you even turn up.

Different shoots have different views on clothing. The posh'est will be tweed breeks, tweed jacket, checked shirt and suitable game tie, green/brown jumper, wellies. I stick with moleskin trousers, wax jacket, checked shirt and suitable game tie, green/brown jumper, wellies. If you don't know the shoot wellies are probably better than boots as you can go anywhere in wellies. You'll need some slip-on shoes for heading back for Lunch in the lodge (if this is part of your day)... you obviously can't make a mess of the 'club' house with dirty wellies.

2nd - Gun and cartridge setup

Over and Under or Side by Side, with a slip to use between drives. Pump action and semi automatic would be frowned upon. Chokes depend on the shoot - how high the birds are? 1/4 and 1/2 normally OK, if it's high birds in Devon's valleys or similar then maybe consider 1/2 and 3/4. Cartridge - I'd go 32g of Fibre 5's. Can also go 6's. Can also go anywhere from 30g - 36g.

Don't run out of cartridges on any drives or the day as a whole. Very bad form!

This paragraph could be debated for days :look:

3rd - Etiquette/Behaviour

Let the shoot captain know that you've not been before - he'll be the chap explaining the rules at the start of the day. He will keep half an eye on you and be supportive. These rules will be simple - keep the gun up, probably no shooting ground game, he'll explain the process for starting shooting and ending shooting on each drive - sometimes you're "live" as soon as on the peg, other times you wait for a whistle. normally another whistle ends the drive. he may also limit species to game birds only and not crows or pigeons or may leave this open to all birds?

The head keeper normally gets a tip at the end of the day. Follow the form of others on this but make sure you have cash with you. Generally £50 depending on the size of the shoot and to be handed over during a hand shake in a respectable fashion.

Most of all enjoy. :good:

Edited by JustJon

Can you pass that message onto some of the guns on my shoot :lol::lol:

happened 3 times now this year (that have been admitted to) :rolleyes:

I've only started shooting this year but surely it's a basic part of Driven Shooting 101 ?

That said, I was on a driven day with a chap that shoots around 50 days per season. 1st drive was so good it caught him out and he stood and watched the last 2 groups fly overhead. VERY red-faced afterwards.

I just fill my cartridge back - holds around 150. I can carry them back afterwards and rather I carry 100 back than run out!?!