New Ground

Blunderbust

Since the start of the year I have been concentrating on a small woodland area that I was given permission on to do Deer Management. Actually I was put in touch with the land owner through the Deer Initiative who has asked me to control the Deer down to a reasonable number. To cut a long story short I also managed to get the shooting rights on all other lawful species as long as I keep the Rabbits and Squirrels down in the process. On my initial recce I could not believe my eyes, the Roe and Muntjac just wander around the place chomping everything in sight. I also have to say that I have never in my life observed so many Rabbits and Squirrels in such a small area.

Needless to say I was more than happy to take on the job and got the paperwork signed and was out stalking the next morning. As I don’t have a huge chill and can only fit one in at a time I decided to limit myself to one on each visit until I get an arrangement with the local game dealer sorted. I didn’t have to work too hard for my first Roe Doe, she was in a dip browsing on some Holly with a couple of Bucks not too far away. I got myself into a nice position and took the shot dropping her on the spot from about 50 meters.

004-2.jpg

The next evening I was out I had a nice Muntjac buck (sorry no pic forgot to charge the camera), not too far away from where she was. So my Deer Control task was off to a good start.

I then decided to have an hour before dark and an hour after yesterday afternoon targeting the Rabbits and Squirrels. I chose the HMR to do this job as I was intending on getting myself onto a piece of high ground which overlooked a sand pit and the wooded area to the far side. This meant that I would probably be shooting out to a maximum of about 120 yards. Once I was in position I didn’t have to wait too long until the Squirrels were running around the wooded area to the rear of the pit. I steadied the rifle on the bipod from the prone position and took aim squeezed the first round off and down went the first tree rat. I then continued on with a steady flow of targets for about 40 minutes. Eventually I counted 9 dead all within an area of no more than 30 meters and between 90 and 120 meters in range. Whilst doing the squirrels, I occasionally looked down into the sand pit and dispatched a couple of Rabbits.

Once it got dark I deployed the lamp and continued on to shoot some Rabbits, although there are only 7 in this picture, I shot a further 4 more on my way up to get the truck down so that I could sort them out in comfort.

008-2.jpg

All in all, a good start to my new year.

Is that a Tikka T3? What mod is it?

Looks great ground, well done; keep up the good work.

Yes it is the T3 Varmint in 243 with the Ace Ultra Northstar Mod.

Some good sized bunnies there!!

Thats right zeff, the place has not seen a gun in 15 years so they have been allowed to have a nice easy hassle free life to grow to nice sizes. They are all nice and clean as well, no maxi. :good: