Trailer test

ferguson_tom

Hi Everyone

I need to do my trailer test for towing up to 3.5 tonnes with a car, just a note I know the laws etc ... all i would like to know is who has taken one and what did it involve.

I regularly tow my caravan and car transporter (which is currently downgraded) a lot already so know what I am doing and can reverse better than most, I am tempted to just book it and go for it or is it worth taking a couple of lessons?

Cheers, Tom

Tom

It's not about how well you can drive, it's will you be able to drive to the standard that the examiner is looking for?

Take a couple of lessons, we're never so good that we cannot learn more.

You'll find that a good instructor will be able to explain the pitfalls that the traler test can throw at you.

I did mine with a company called train right , think it was about £350 . That included 2 days training and a test ( re tests was another £100)

2 lads out of the 4 passed it first time , the other 2 on there second go . I wouldn't say it was easy but I only got 4 miners and one was for not using 6th gear doing 50 mph !

If you can tow a caravan and car transported surely you have the required licence already as I'm limited to 750kg unbraked single axle

No you're not. You could tow a 1500KG trailer behind a 2000KG car. "Maximum of 3500KG providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle" is the law.

I've taken the test, it was reasonably easy ( I passed with 3 minors after 4 hours training)

The things to watch out for are: Hooking up/unhooking in the correct order - it's a safety thing, they'll ask you to do it so make sure you get it right.

Driving to test standard is pretty hard to get used to when you've been driving for a while. I had a couple of weeks between my lessons and my test, which gave me time to practice driving sensibly - mirrors every 10 seconds, handbrake at the lights, following distances and all the other things that go out the window as soon as you pass your test.

Things you have to do:

hook/ unhook

Reverse a dogleg shaped course and back it in to a bay, without hitting the barrier or crossing lines on the road.

Road test of 45 minutes IIRC.

Answer some questions on what you wold check on the trailer before hitching up and moving away (loading, secure doors, lights, number plates etc)

:good:

Yes, that applies to anyone who passed their test after 1997.

Read this page, it explains the law correctly. Whoever told you "750kg unbraked single axle" is talking tripe.

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/driving_licences.aspx

Mainly, these bits:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes (category B ) with a 750kg trailer (4.25 tonnes total MAM).

Category B vehicles with larger trailers i.e. > 750kg, provided that the combined MAM does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and the gross MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. To be able to tow combinations outside this ruling requires the passing of an additional test.

Edited by J@mes

thanks for the replies everyone, i think i will go for a couple of lessons then before the test. I werent to sure as didnt want to waste money if it was something you could pass if you had experience towing trailers.

Another silly rule bought in for no reason what so ever apart from making more money. I have towed higher weights on my trailer (dont tell anyone) only for short distance 5-10 mile moving tractors and apart from braking earlier there is no difference.

It really is a ridiculous law they brought in with this one. I passed my test just after the laws changed on pulling a trailer, in my day job I'm regularly pulling 14 ton trailers, 30 ft articulated trailers and large trailed machines behind tractors yet when it comes to getting into the farms Defender with the plant trailer I can't do it. Its another one of these laws they brought out that makes no sense at all when you can still, at the age of 16, pass a test to drive a tractor then go out on the road with a trailer with a train weight of just over 24 tons :rolleyes: