17HMR v .22WMR comparison?

Frenchieboy

OK Guys, I have something on my mind that is "bugging me" and I could do with some info/thoughts on the subject from people more knowledgable than me!

My current situation is that the only rifle that I have that is conditioned for Foxing which is my .243, but quite often while I am out lamping rabbits I come across foxes that I would like to shoot but, being as I (More ofter than not) lamp rabbits with my 17HMR I can not (Legally) take a shot at any foxes that I come across as Lancashire area do not consider the 17HMR as a suitable calibre for foxes! (I do have my 17hMR conditioned for dispatching Foxes while caught in a cage trap) Therefore I am left with a bit of a predicament - What rifle could I (Legally) use for both rabbit and fox at the same time? I do not have the room for another rifle so I would be looking at getting a rifle that was capable of dealing with both Rabbit and fox in place of my 17HMR (Which I love because of it's supreme acciracy and range for rabbits) that is not going to leave any rabbits that I shoot with it as "pureed" or unedible!

I have just been taking to Lancashire Firearms about if they would allow a .22WMR for Rabbit AND FOX and I have been given the answer that with the experience that I have accumulated they would be willing to authorise a .22WMR for Vermin and Fox. I have no experience whatsoever with a .22WMR and only know what little I do about them through what I have read on here so could members offer some info about the capabilities, cost of "feeding", sound moderating, Effective ranges on fox and rabbits, etc of the .22WMR compared to the 17HMR please.

Frenchi can i throw anought into the mix for you ?

How about a .22 Hornet ?

I had thought about the Hornet and have used one that is owned by a good friend of mine (I don't know if it was the rifle, the "home loaded ammo" or me but I wasn't over impressed with the accuracy or grouping from the Hornet that I used) which is why I really wanted a comparison between the 17HMR and the .22WMR. I want to stick to Rimfire to keep costs down as much as possible while buying factory ammunition and a moderator (I am led to beleive that a SAK moderator will "suffice" on a .22WMR as opposed to buying on of the "Higher Spec" or "Dedicated" Moderators) due to being on a rather tight budget.

p.s. Just a thought but what is the general availability and average costing of .22WMR ammunition?

I had thought about the Hornet and have used one that is owned by a good friend of mine (I don't know if it was the rifle, the "home loaded ammo" or me but I wasn't over impressed with the accuracy or grouping from the Hornet that I used) which is why I really wanted a comparison between the 17HMR and the .22WMR. I want to stick to Rimfire to keep costs down as much as possible while buying factory ammunition and a moderator (I am led to beleive that a SAK moderator will "suffice" on a .22WMR as opposed to buying on of the "Higher Spec" or "Dedicated" Moderators) due to being on a rather tight budget.

p.s. Just a thought but what is the general availability and average costing of .22WMR ammunition?

Frenchie,

I've just started out really with the wmr, there are other more experienced people on here. I swapped from hmr to wmr for the very reasons you speak of, I've found in the last few months

Its not quite as pin ***** accurate as the hmr, but completely acceptable groups are easy

My rfd routinely has ammunition in stock, I've never had a problem getting hold of it, apart from ballistic tips, which he just doesn't stock.

I have a SAK on mine, and myself and my shooting buddy think its quieter than the HMR, but you can only take my word for it, but I think so.

I very rarely shoot any further than 100 yards, and haven't done so yet, at 100 yards on rabbit it has a noticable, more authorative impact than the hmr.

I like mine, to be completely honest, I don't have a preference between the two, its just that the wmr ticks the boxes for me.

Kyska, that is exactly the sort of reply I was asking for, an honest appraisal from somweone who has used both calibres and can offer an unbiased comparison! Thank you. :good:

Richie, that sounds like a good idea as it is always favourable to try both calibres so that you can get a hands on opinion for yourself. I might well take you up on that offer! Thanks.

p.s. Please note that if I do opt for a .22WMR to replace my 17HMR I would only be expecting to shoot foxes out to about 100 yards max. - Not "silly" ranges that some might think, it is after all just a rimfire and if I want to go out SPECIFICALLY for fox then I would take my .243 anyhow!

Surely the Hornet will be cheaper if reloaded and will run fine with a SAK and isnt any different noise wise to a HMR and will do rabbit and fox nicely to 150yards. If only i got out more and had more oppertunity at fox i would get one to sit next to my HMR and would very merrily reload for it !

Surely the Hornet will be cheaper if reloaded and will run fine with a SAK and isnt any different noise wise to a HMR and will do rabbit and fox nicely to 150yards. If only i got out more and had more oppertunity at fox i would get one to sit next to my HMR and would very merrily reload for it !

You may very well be right about the Hornet being cheaper if you reload it yourself but I am not really onto reloading myself!

I do take on board all that you are saying though, thanks for your thoughts and feedback!