Camping and Caravan Club Mag

onefulham

We have a caravan and are members of both the main clubs, The Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club, both produce a monthly magazine, very much into spending money in the local economy. In the CC&C magazine they have a regular Eat Local item, mostly list of restaurants and markets, this months is all about eating game.

A very positive artical going into detail about the advantages of eating game. It also praises the shoots. A guy interviewd in the market in Hexham says 'I remind customers that the shoots are great for the local economy too, many jobs are created for the lads and lasses who help out up on the moors'.

All good positive stuff reaching out to a generaly non shooting community.

We have a caravan and are members of both the main clubs, The Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club, both produce a monthly magazine, very much into spending money in the local economy. In the CC&C magazine they have a regular Eat Local item, mostly list of restaurants and markets, this months is all about eating game.

A very positive artical going into detail about the advantages of eating game. It also praises the shoots. A guy interviewd in the market in Hexham says 'I remind customers that the shoots are great for the local economy too, many jobs are created for the lads and lasses who help out up on the moors'.

All good positive stuff reaching out to a generaly non shooting community.

Thanks - I will try to remember this the next time I am stuck in a lengthy jam on the A75 behind a car towing a caravan at 35 mph.

Repeat after me x 20. Caravans are wonderful things and, if they hold me up, just remember that the driver is probably a member of Pigeon Watch = all tension & stress gone. QED :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Caravans are wonderful things and now all the campers are eating game, even better ! :)

Not at all sure about your first statement but as long as we have a load of happy campers, then one must try not to get too impatient......

The reason for the first part of my reply being that caravanning does not pump so much into the local economy as say staying in a B&B, guest house or hotel - also the caravan will probably be full of provisions bought at your local home Tesco [or other ghastly shop] and so not much there for the local retail economy and then caravan parks, often located in some of the most scenic parts of the country are not exactly things of beauty = blot on the landscape.

So why not sell the caravan, check out the local accommodation guide, find a hotel, pub or guest house to stay in and let a local chef tittilate your tastebuds with the finest local produce, meat, game, fish, fruit & vegetables - then you and your wife and family will have a REAL holiday, enjoy the freedom of the open road - not having to lug a glorified trailer behind you - and you will not hold me up!

Just a thought.....

ps I stayed in a caravan for one night in 1973, so I speak with considerable experience.

I had 42 nights away last year, that would cost a fortune in B&Bs ! We drive to road conditions and speed limit, I drive a lot all over the country and can honestly say barely remember the last time we were held up by a caravan, tractors yes, live with that one, road accidents cause far more delays. We do shop as local as possible, Mrs big lover of farmers markets, not saying we never shop at Tesco but probably less than the people local to where we are visiting.

I was never anti or pro caravans, camped a lot when young, done the world wide exotics, loved them, did a lot of Narrowboat holidays, if you want to relax I recommend them, great holidays, went to a show at the NEC to look at the narrowboats and dream, my wife said to look in a caravan, I was not interested, got in and was pleasantly surprised, much better than I thought, next thing I know we have got a caravan and never looked back, had some fantastic trips all over the UK.

We are very happy campers like thousands and thousands of others.

Caravans DO put money into the local economy.

Pitch fees

local pubs

local restaraunts

local points of interest "castles halls museums etc"

Local grocer for bread milk eggs etc

local farms for eggs "I do"

Local garages for fuel and repairs

also I dont poddle along at 30mph

I have even used local caravan repair places for awning repairs and gas servicing.

Had nine weeks work in Norfolk last year third week in July to the end of September, would have cost a small

fortune without the caravan and a fair bit of what we saved we invested in food and drink at Filby Kings Head

and Stokesby Ferry,if any of you with a tent or van want some peace and quiet on a small site three miles out

of Yarmouth White Gates Farm in Runham is well worth a visit and dogs are welcome atb handy