FIELDS BLUE WITH WOODIES

bartshoot

The problem with winter shooting is that they like to go into a big group and stay in a big group, you get 1000 fly and and 999 fly off never to be seen again.

There are many advisable tactics, firstly get out very early to try and beat the biggest of groups forming, secondly use lots and lots of static decoys to bulk out your pattern, and thirdly it has been said to let the pigeons fly in, spook, and only shoot the last two that are flying off as it promotes the group coming back.

Flag other fields off with bamboo canes and carrier bags so they flap about in the wind, or use banger ropes or get some mates to cover as many fields as possible to bounce the birds around.

Walk birds off when you get there if arriving late, don't be tempted to sneak up and take a shot. Use as many decoys as you have.

Just a few tips to try.....

Flag other fields off with bamboo canes and carrier bags so they flap about in the wind, or use banger ropes or get some mates to cover as many fields as possible to bounce the birds around.

Walk birds off when you get there if arriving late, don't be tempted to sneak up and take a shot. Use as many decoys as you have.

Just a few tips to try.....

im new to this forum but its a very helpful site and will and will be useing it a lot more thanks for the advice.

the above tips what members have gave are good i have used them and they work, i have been on the rape a fair bit this winter and its not easy atal, a few tips i could maybe add is make a realy good hide ! a hide what is 2x better than the one you make for summer woodies maybe evern make your hide two days in advance the reson for this is if they are flying together in packs of 60 or 150 there is a hell of a lot more charnce you are going to get spotted, rather than one bird in the summer. and if one of them 60 or 150 birds see you the whole lot will go ! so a well built hide and full cammo will up your charnces. another tip i can add is IMO i would ignore the U and V patterns alot of members on here have found one big cluster of birds or two clusters of birds work better this time of year.

Matt

the above tips what members have gave are good i have used them and they work, i have been on the rape a fair bit this winter and its not easy atal, a few tips i could maybe add is make a realy good hide ! a hide what is 2x better than the one you make for summer woodies maybe evern make your hide two days in advance the reson for this is if they are flying together in packs of 60 or 150 there is a hell of a lot more charnce you are going to get spotted, rather than one bird in the summer. and if one of them 60 or 150 birds see you the whole lot will go ! so a well built hide and full cammo will up your charnces. another tip i can add is IMO i would ignore the U and V patterns alot of members on here have found one big cluster of birds or two clusters of birds work better this time of year.

Matt

all good advice.thanks.