410 mossberg hushpower sight options?

sterling

I've got a .410 mossberg 500 (non-ribbed barrel) with a 9" removeable hushpower fitted. For those of you successfully shooting with this setup, what are you doing for sight options? I'm not having much luck obscuring the target with the moderator - I find myself removing it a lot of the time and not surprisingly the mod doesn't suppress the shot much when I leave it at home :rolleyes:

I've considered drilling/tapping the reciever to fit a rail and mount either a red dot or ghost rings or alternatively, clamp a rail on the barrel just behind the mod and use a tall front sight.

Any better ideas would be much appreciated!

Edited by sterling

Guest cookoff013

depends on what you are doing, some like to put rifle style sight and shoot rabbits with it. or some ajust the comb and sight system, there are many options that can cause you problems.

i think your first problem is you dont know where the poi or the poa is. the only way to find it is on a pattern board. i`ve seen all manor of sights for these including gluing a piece of rubber to act as a rear sight.

Sounds like yours is different to mine, mines the hushpower mossberg 500 and the mod isnt removable on mine. Mine has a small brass peg sight on the end of the mod, which is how it came straight from the saddelry & gunrooms. I find because the mod is so large, it can be hard to aim initially. I found I was shooting over everything. A quick bit of target practise at beer cans, a patterning board or shooting a few clays soon corrected me.

Cracking gun tho!

Posted somthing luke this a couple of weeks ago i have abolt action 410 with add on mod going to try and fit a cheap red dot sight from the usa

theres plenty of red dot stuff in the uk if you search for it, mine only cost £20 posted, it'll cost more than that from states or china

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys! I've even tried using a zip-tie on the end of the can and then use the fastener as a crude bead. Safe to say I need something better.

Sound advice too - I really must pattern this gun. I might get some unapproving looks but I think I'll drill and tap for a rail and mount a red dot - I'm just worried the aluminium receiver isn't up to it. I use the gun for everything from rabbiting and roost shooting to clays and decoyed pigeons if I'm feeling really lucky. I have to admit I often reach for the 12 gauge to make up for poor shooting though.

Out of interest, has anybody chrono'd those surprisingly loud "subsonic" eley extra longs? I'm sure I know a supersonic crack when I hear one... :hmm:

Drill and tapping it might take it out of proof talking to my gun smith he suggested soldering it on low temp solder u might have to rise the stock to suit eye level aswell

I can't see how, the receiver isn't a pressure-bearing component. Mine was already tapped from the factory.

Just patterned it at 15, 20, 25 and 30 yards with eley fourlongs and extralongs by obscuring the target with the mod. POA and POI seem pretty close. Fourlongs are dismal at anything beyond 15yds, but those 18g extralongs were throwing surprisingly dense patterns out to 25ish.

Thanks for the input guys. After some quite successful decoying today, I'll stick without sights for shooting birds on the wing or bolting rabbits for now and take the air rifle for anything else...

Edited by sterling

For anybody interested - I've just bought a ghost ring sight/heat shield from ATI for the mossbeg 500. It will only work on hushpowers with the short moderator (not the full-barrel models). It's a bit "tacti-cool" looking, but I'll see how I get on with it and report back.

post-40614-0-88029600-1328445782.jpg

Edited by sterling