Eye dominance - food for thought

Drayman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry havent read it all but thought i should just point out ,yes use finger pointing as a guide but until someone sees you shooting who knows what to look for its very difficult to have one answer suits all

I am quite happy with my diagnosis as it was done by a top shooter and coach (GB Coach at one coach). It's become a bit of pet subject for me :good:

Just brings it home a little more that consistent gun mount and looking at the target is more important than eye dominance (in my opinion).

I think that's true for an experienced shooter. I imagine you've got enough practice that your body just knows where to put the gun. That's how people shoot from the hip. But I think mounting on the dominant eye is important for building up that instinct in the first place.

I think that's true for an experienced shooter. I imagine you've got enough practice that your body just knows where to put the gun. That's how people shoot from the hip. But I think mounting on the dominant eye is important for building up that instinct in the first place.

I think you're right and it was probably an overstatement.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot right handed, even though my left eye is the dominant one. I keep both eyes open until the gun is fully mounted, then I close my left eye and shoot. This gives me enough information on the clay (speed, line, etc), and works well. When mounting the gun with both eyes open, I don't have to think at all. My gun comes right in place and lines up with my right eye even though my left eye dominates.

I consistently score between 83 and 92 on 100 clays (ok, I don't have extremely difficult parcours in my area :rolleyes: ). Unless there's a tornado out there, clays are very much predictable once you've seen enough different trajectories.

For game shooting it's a bit different, as the trajectory of your target might change slightly right when you close your left eye (it is then more difficult to analyse the new line with only one eye open). This method works well overall, though in my experience it's not as effective on game as it is on clays.

But then again, that's just my personal opinion and experience. Tips might work for some people, and can make things worse for others.