Beaters Day and the Choc Lab

JDsniper

I just thought I would tell this little story as I am a proud dad lol

Now I have a 4 year old Choc lab Marley he is a great friend to me and my kids and has filled the shoes of my other Choc lab I lost two years ago suddenly. He is a big bold lad with lots of caricter and has been the joke of our shoot for the last couple of years as he is like a bear and he and I get all the usual jokes and jibs about him being a chocolate lab.

Over the last 12 months he has carmed down loads but still gets very excited at the start but carms down during he day.

I have taken him on every shoot this season but kept him under manners on the lead at crucial times.

Now it was beaters day today and he came along and was the first time a shot over him. Was on the second drive today and I was a back gun, I was stood in front of the wood when a high hen bird came back I turned and got it going away it dropped in the wood.

Marley looked at me and I told him to get on and go find him me thinking there no chance as I have only ever had him retrieving cold game a hand full of times last year. I turned and continued to watch the drive. He was in the wood out of my sight me thinking he was just running about, then I heard him trotting back and the bushes shaking then too my amazement out he pops with the hen bird in is mouth and straight back to my hand told him dead and it was in my hand undamaged. I had a grin from ear to ear and the rest of he team were shocked my boy had done it just like a pro.

He had 3 other retrieves today one over a flooded ditch and two runners in the woods again I told him to get on and find them and he did the same came trotting back with too running cocks and a dead hen.

So I great day i didn't shoot many but my dog a Choc lab proved the howl beating team wrong and surprised them all.b40c9302.jpg

79f92a32.jpg