.17 HMR Query on wounding

ben0850

To put your mind at rest, it was dead IMO. kicking means nothing! squeeling or breathing are a totally different thing to kicking- no point talking about the blink responce in this case :rolleyes: . Ever heard the tale of the headless chicken running around?

Who knows, but around 4 years ago I was out with my lad, we had several bunnies, cleaned them, head and boots off, skinned and prepared ready for the pot.

One of the neighbouring landowners strolled by and whilst we were having a chat over the farm gate the bag started twitching and kicking, couldn't believe it, and it went on for 3-4 minutes.

Never seen it before or since, but there was no doubt bunny was seriously deceased!

I am suprised that you have experienced this at just 40yds. When I hit rabbits with the HMR they are dead instantly.

I head shot a rabbit at 15 yds once with my HMR. I'd been sniping at a group between 90 and 150 yds away, shooting off a tripod rest when this one hopped out of the nettles just in front of me and sat there like a lemon. I managed to swing onto it undetected but the image was miles out of focus. I took the shot blurred and saw something fly upwards out of sight and drift down a good 20 feet away turning like a sycamore leaf. It turned out to be the top of the skull with one ear still attached. That was a Hornady Vmax. They expand fine at 15 yds.

I didn't do a blink test...

Regardless of cal or distance i only take head shots so can't comment on body shots !

The above pic could it of taken the eyes and front of skull but just missed the brain ? Personally the shot should be further back behind the eye and under the ear ! A narrow miss of the brain me thinks !

The above pic could it of taken the eyes and front of skull but just missed the brain ? Personally the shot should be further back behind the eye and under the ear ! A narrow miss of the brain me thinks !

Yep...I've had that before with a 22, passed straight through both eyes, the rabbit was very much alive running round in circles for obvious reasons.