Series 3 Wont Start

Beretta28g

My old S3 has been standing in the garden science it last ran on the way back from its 2007 MOT which it failed.

I charged its battery and tried to spin it, and the starter motor would spin it at "normal" speed, however it did not fire.

It SHOULD have half a tank of fuel, so fuel should not be a problem. What else should i look for?

Its got plenty of oil in the sump, however when i fix it, i will be changing this.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Diesel shouldn't go off, however if it's cold where you are it could be 'waxed up'.

The way to sort this out is take off the fuel filter and ideally put on a new one, if not put it somewhere warm for a while, then refit and try again. Don't forget to bleed the injector pump at both bleed screws if you remove the filter, then slacken off 2 injector pipes then crank it over until it fires or fuel comes out, then nip them up again.

Check how much is in the tank, you said it should be half full but check it, there is little worse than struggling for ages only to find you've run out for some reason...

On the fuel lift pump there should be a sediment collector glass, it's worth taking that off and checking it isn't full of crud.

Assuming the glow plugs are working, give it around 30 seconds heat and it should go, however these indirect engines are a PITA to start if the plugs aren't working. A hair-dryer or heat gun, or propane blow lamp can be shoved into the inlet manifold (NOT the oil bath air cleaner), this will do a more effective job than the glow plugs anyway.

If that doesn't work, or if you aren't allowed the missus' hair-dryer, easy start will get it going, however you must be very careful to use only a very small amount, just a small 'whiff' otherwise engine damage may occur if you go mad with it.

If it fires off easy start but still doesn't run, then it could be air in the fuel system, and it may be worth bleeding it (again if you had the filter off).

When trying to start it, is any smoke coming out, if so what colour is it?

I wouldn't worry about oil oozing out at this stage, if it's coming from the head gasket then it's an easy fix, as long as it has compression and fuel it'll go. Worry about the oil afterwards.

It's probably nothing to worry about anyway, it's what makes a LR a LR, if it doesn't leak oil then it's not a Landy - regardless of the age.

Yes, make sure the stop cable (I think it's a cable on these?) is moving properly, look at the injector pump and check that the linkage is moving properly to it's full extent.

If there is no smoke then that suggests no fuel, I'd start by taking off the filter and either replacing it or leaving it in a warm place as there is a good chance the old diesel will have waxed up in the cooler weather we're getting.

It sounds like the same engine as my S2a. have you used the priming handle on the side of the fuel pump? You should pump it until you hear the fuel going back into the tank. 8-10 pumps should do it.

I would also suggest checking the heater plugs. ensure they get hot, take one out and put it across a battery...

The suggestion of a hot air gun into the intake and crank it is a good one and has worked for me... (if you have to do this you likely have a glow plug or multiples at fault)

Matt.