any tips on rearing pheasants

im planing on rearing 150 ..100 form eggs usein a incubtor /50. day olds , have a incubtor ,shed ready,heating lamp ,i have 2cock birds n 10 hens in usein 2 breed form its my 1st time trying ,,have the foxs sort'd so far shot 20 odd thanks gav

not wanting to put you off but if you are intending to hatch right through the laying season you will have birds of all different ages, a six week poult will quite happily eat a day old chick, so you will have to separate them, possibly better to buy some day olds for your first attempt,so that they are all the same age, and 2 heat lamps would be best because you never know when the bulbs are going to blow, bed them on chopped cardboard, they love to eat wood shaveings and it blocks them up and they die, pheasants are great at finding ways to die

I've never had any real success with eggs, day olds can be quite easy but you must be strict with your husbandry.

use (DHC) dairy hyperclorite (at the recommended dose) to sanitise everything, shed, floor, equipment and then make up a large drum for washing drinkers, you must have access to clean water to rinse

use cardboard on a roll cut to size for the shed floor, a light bed of large shavings, and more card cut into strips to round the corners off save the birds crowding for the first couple of days, done this way the bedding can be changed quickly and with out fuss on a weekly basis (some will recommend a deep bed topped up instead of changed but done that way gives a higher chance of coxi or hexi)

buy a digi thermostat on a lead, so you can get the temp spot on, get the shed and bedding up to temp the day before you expect the day olds

always have plenty of water and put some small sized pipe (sanitised) in the bottom of the drinkers to stop the chicks drowning, it's a good idea to put the water on a slate or tile to help with shavings getting disturbed and contaminating the water. sanitise the drinkers each day

don't bother with the 'proper' feed trays use fruit trays they're brill for the job ;) and just bin them each day (clean with no squished fruit) i put grit on these too

if your relying on heat lamps have a spare bulb or two

use your nose, after sanitising drinkers rinse with water and check for DHC by smelling them, also get used to the smell of the birds, if the smell goes sickly or sweet things are wrong and you have problems, keep an eye on droppings they should be solid ish dark with a light tip, runny brown or yellow and you have problems, anything frothy is not good

the more you can limit the birds exposure to other wild birds for the first 3 weeks the better, after that their immune system is less naive and up for the challenge

don't ignore losses at 3-5 day old, this will be yoke sack infection and will affect a number of birds, get antibiotics from a vet who knows game birds asap

if i think of owt else I'll post it up ;)

Edited by Paul223

I did this last year, built my own 240 egg auto incubator and separate hatcher and turned out good.

I had 3 cocks to 14 hens and was getting, on average, 12 eggs a day, at peak. As the max storage time before putting into the incubator is 7 days, with 10 hens, you are looking at around 55 eggs in that time. I had 2 brood sheds, so doing 2 split hatches wasn't a problem

Now, fertilised eggs have got to be calculated for. I found, that with even 3 cocks, fertilisation was only about 70%, after candling. So with only 10 hens you are down to roughly, 40 viable eggs hatching, if all goes ok. So you are looking at least at, 2 separate hatches, 2 brood sheds etc.

On a small scale, I would suggest you get 1 day olds, unless, like me, you just want "to do it".

Last year, I used 250w IR lamps, but getting a gas brooder this year, damn sight cheaper to run but only gonna do ringnecks, whites, reeves and guinea fowl. Buy the ringneck day olds, and buy other eggs to coincide hatching with delivery of day olds.............hopefully :blush:

Bio security has been mentioned, with good advice, but it's a minefield for smalltime breeders like us. I'm just glad we buy most of our release birds in.

Mind you, now knowing what I learnt last year, if I knew when I was younger, I would have got into this , BIG STYLE.

Edit

If you do go on with it, use Turkey crumbs, Turkey growers pellets, as they normally contain Avatec, without a prescription :yes:

Edited by wy111

• 2 weeks later...

My advise ....GET POULTS :lol::lol:

We tried a few day olds last year, 160, and it was rewarding but very time consuming. Will we do it again..............most probably :rolleyes:

Personally our main lesson from last year was that our little shed was just too small, okay up until they were a couple of weeks old but once they started to really eat and grow they were overcrowded and this held them back a bit.

Lots of good advice on this thread :good:

thanks all good advice

wy111 ,could u send me some info on makein my own incubator thnks ..gav

Well you asked for it :lol:

How did I build my own incubator?

It all depends on how many eggs you want to try and hatch. If it's only a few, you would be better off buying a purpose built one, like a Brinsea. If, like me, these aren't big enough, then the fun starts. I started with a lot of research on You-tube, there's loads of vids available and picking brains of breeders.

I used a glass fronted, back bar, bottle fridge, which has to have a good door seal. As I decided I wanted an automatic turner, things started to get complicated, as I wanted to make it as good as a professional one.

So, what did I need, apart from the fridge?

A very accurate incubator thermostat.

A wet/dry thermometer

A heat supply.

A motor, to turn the egg trays.

A timer, for the motor.

A motor speed controller.

Microswitch, to stop motor after 180 deg turn.

A couple of relays and a bit of pcb and various coloured wire.

Three, 2-wire computer fans.

2 adjustable vents.

A box to put all the controllers etc. in

Some thin galv sheet to make the humidity tray.

Some poly pipe so I can fill the humidity tray from outside the incubator

These can be bought from professional suppliers, but, as having 32yrs of past electro mechanical engineering, I decided to build my own.

The thermostat, I bought as a kit, the heat supply come from Solway feeders, the wiper motor from a Clio, the timer and speed controller from hobby suppliers.

Here is a link of work in progress:-

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg128/wy111/Incubator/?albumview=slideshow

I added a couple more fans, 1 at each side and moved the heat element into the back of the fridge.

• 3 weeks later...

Well you asked for it :lol:

How did I build my own incubator?

It all depends on how many eggs you want to try and hatch. If it's only a few, you would be better off buying a purpose built one, like a Brinsea. If, like me, these aren't big enough, then the fun starts. I started with a lot of research on You-tube, there's loads of vids available and picking brains of breeders.

I used a glass fronted, back bar, bottle fridge, which has to have a good door seal. As I decided I wanted an automatic turner, things started to get complicated, as I wanted to make it as good as a professional one.

So, what did I need, apart from the fridge?

A very accurate incubator thermostat.

A wet/dry thermometer

A heat supply.

A motor, to turn the egg trays.

A timer, for the motor.

A motor speed controller.

Microswitch, to stop motor after 180 deg turn.

A couple of relays and a bit of pcb and various coloured wire.

Three, 2-wire computer fans.

2 adjustable vents.

A box to put all the controllers etc. in

Some thin galv sheet to make the humidity tray.

Some poly pipe so I can fill the humidity tray from outside the incubator

These can be bought from professional suppliers, but, as having 32yrs of past electro mechanical engineering, I decided to build my own.

The thermostat, I bought as a kit, the heat supply come from Solway feeders, the wiper motor from a Clio, the timer and speed controller from hobby suppliers.

Here is a link of work in progress:-

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg128/wy111/Incubator/?albumview=slideshow

I added a couple more fans, 1 at each side and moved the heat element into the back of the fridge

think il buy 1 lol some like hard work

Edited by shotgun gav