6 year old spaniel

PotHunter96

hey fellas it may be possible for us to obtain a 6 year old cocker spaniel called billy.from what ive heard hes well trained and used to be alone at home during the day he sounds like a good dog and is very well trained would it be possible to train him to retrieve game and be steady to shot at his age, your thoughts please. thanks

Absolutely mate, no such thing as too old to learn, get him and enjoy the training, he will love it.

thanks mate i love shooting but really need a dog to retrieve game and he sounds great were having him over one weekend (i think) to see how we get on as i have a mild allergy to dogs its only if i stroke them and then rub my eyes my eyes go really puffy and it never seems to happpen with spaniels

Don't see why he shouldn't make a worker. I took on a pig-headed 5 year old "pet" Lab about 5 years ago and he's made a damn fine rough/pigeon shooting dog. Didn't need that much in the way of training/encouragement either. Just give them the opportunity to show you what they're capable of and guide them in the right direction. He'd never have made peg dog but what use are they anyway!!!! He's now suffering fairly bad arthritis but it still hasn't dampened his enthusiasm, just try leaving him behind! However, I do think it's very important that you work on forming a good bond with the dog - it will make life so much easier for you and he will do all he can to please you in return. Best of luck with him.

Would depend on how much free hunting he's had, you won't know till you try him!! Can be easy enough to still do obediance work but if he has not been steadied to game you may have an uphill struggle to be sure!!

I agree with that mate but like anything else with young or old dogs consistency and patience is the key. Dont go by how much he can do now go back to basics and build your foundations from there.