stop whistle

mereside

i am looking for some help with my gsp hes a rescue. training is going well but need help with the stop whistle hes sitting to the whistle and comes back on the whistle even at distance but i cannot get him to stop to the whistle now my problem is he wont go onto a long lead he wont cast off he just stays close by as i have never let him go more than a couple of steps in front the long lead confuses him and he just shuffles back to the correct distance do i just carry on using a short lead and get him 100% to stop on that and try without the lead i really dont want to confuse him anymore,atb wayne

Ah, they are too blooming clever and know when the leads on :rolleyes: Try using feeding times, sit the dog put its food down and make it wait. Now get between it and the food call him up for the food but stop it short with the stop and the hand signal. It might take more than a few goes but eventually the penny will drop no stop = food gets removed, quick stop + sent staight on after compliance. A hallway or other corridoor is great for this. Now move it into the field and reward with a retrieve the insant it stops (one blow only) non compliance means being taken to the exact place it was told etc. and corrected

Dont be predictable though and eventually work towards stopping on the run out towards a retrieve (get an assistant to remove the dummy before the dog can get there for non compliance otherwise you are rewarding non compliance) compliance= imediate reward of a new thrown retrieve for which i use a favourite dummy or ball and if need be allow the dog to run in with an imediate send if it likes that sort of thing.

Never over use the stop! and with a HPR i would practise it through its life during re-directs hunting into known holding areas as they do tend to be over quick in cover. once you hit onto game a time or two on the re-direct the dog will stop like its been pole axed and stare at you exitedly for guidence :good:

Great, dont over do it - just make sure stop is reminded and rewarded, then when you need it most... Just starting with pup on it here. Dog sees whisle hit lips and runs back to me to sit, the darn thing gets it every time with hand signal only. The food trick is unlikely to work just yet with this one the greedy thing would push through a brick wall to get at his meal when told. In the end they all get it though sometimes you need to get crafty :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...