Anyone own or have experience of

Devon Fox

Hi Folks,

My GF currently runs a 2L VW Beetle, which is proving costly to run & tax - cut a long story short,she works in occupational therapy and has got Herself promoted and has to travel alot more, minimum of 100 mile round trip to base,and more miles on top with visiting patients.

She quite fancied a little car,like a newish renauly clio, but I would prefer to see Her in something a little larger, like a Focus/Astra.

What are the Astra 1.9 cdti sri's like to live with?,reliability is very very important? general running costs (it all sounds good when I looked on autotrader stats,but cant beat 1st hand users opinions) any major flaws in the car?

It would be a 2006/07 model with 40/50k on the clock?

Any advice would be great :good:

I have 1.9 Astra SRi estate decent motor put 60k on it FSH inlet manifold, alternator and clutch are weak points had inlet manifold done and alternator Vauxhall contributed to parts cost out of warranty good points fast and reasonable economy average 42mpg over 50k on trip computer the 1.3 is cheaper to and tax so is 1.7, avoid 18" wheels, poor in ice, snow too much torque on wide wheels. Apart from inlet and alternator only brakes tyres and service like anything it's quick and will do 120+ (on auto Bahn) accelerates well, personally I would look at guiletta ( same family) but newer 3dr is cramped and rear visibility limited have 2 mates with same engine in different cars

I have 1.9 Astra SRi estate decent motor put 60k on it FSH inlet manifold, alternator and clutch are weak points had inlet manifold done and alternator Vauxhall contributed to parts cost out of warranty good points fast and reasonable economy average 42mpg over 50k on trip computer the 1.3 is cheaper to and tax so is 1.7, avoid 18" wheels, poor in ice, snow too much torque on wide wheels. Apart from inlet and alternator only brakes tyres and service like anything it's quick and will do 120+ (on auto Bahn) accelerates well, personally I would look at guiletta ( same family) but newer 3dr is cramped and rear visibility limited have 2 mates with same engine in different cars

Brilliant, just what I was looking for :good:

Will look into the guiletta.

Thanks for taking the time.

Great cars my brother just bought one, he's really pleased and says it does over 50mpg, as it has a 6 speed box. most main stream diesels now will be very good reliability wise, And should easily clock up 150k with no issues, just do the cam belt oil and filter a bit an generally look after it. His runs a treat with 78k on the clock, rather powerful compared to my old 1.7 astra and felt a nice car to drive.

I did get my astra in 2008 (it was 55 plate) 1.7 cdti 80bhp

set of rear brakes in this time and alternator avarage 55-58 mpg

low insurance low tax. me and my wife did about 75000 miles in 3 years.

exelent car grate in snow on normal size tyres even beter on snow tyres . only sold to go for biger vectra.

I currently have an 06 plate Astra 1.9CDTi SRi with the X-Pack and some added perfomance via a remap from Celtic Tuning. I bought this 2 years ago simply as a cheap economical high mileage motorway car. At 42k it needed a new alternator as someone else mentioned. Aside from that in just under 50k miles in my ownership it has otherwise been completely faultless. I have replaced front tyres twice and rears once, rear discs and pads and front pads. Nothing else. It has the 18" wheels and I personally don't find these a problem. It has been consistently returning about 44mpg. One thing I would budget for is a new stereo, the standard one is rubbish and if you're spending at lest 2 hours a day in the car that's not ideal.

I currently have an 06 plate Astra 1.9CDTi SRi with the X-Pack and some added perfomance via a remap from Celtic Tuning. I bought this 2 years ago simply as a cheap economical high mileage motorway car. At 42k it needed a new alternator as someone else mentioned. Aside from that in just under 50k miles in my ownership it has otherwise been completely faultless. I have replaced front tyres twice and rears once, rear discs and pads and front pads. Nothing else. It has the 18" wheels and I personally don't find these a problem. It has been consistently returning about 44mpg. One thing I would budget for is a new stereo, the standard one is rubbish and if you're spending at lest 2 hours a day in the car that's not ideal.

I drove one with the X-pack and 18" rims and the ride was awful, can still be harsh on bumpy roads with the 17". the 150BHP has switchable engine management and normally runs 120 bhp press the button to get 150, they can be remapped to 180+ without upgrades but component life may suffer.

I drove one with the X-pack and 18" rims and the ride was awful, can still be harsh on bumpy roads with the 17". the 150BHP has switchable engine management and normally runs 120 bhp press the button to get 150, they can be remapped to 180+ without upgrades but component life may suffer.

I wouldn't say the ride was awful, but certainly it's, well, firm... Mine is the 120bhp 8v in standard form, this also has the "sport" mode button, which to be honest since the remap (to well in excess of 150bhp) I have never bothered with.