Lab wont return dummy

Rosebank22

Hi everyone

Bit of a strange one.... My 19 month lab will wait on command, and fetch the dummy I want but will 'parade' around with it doing laps in front of me and wont bring it in... she retrieves balls to hand.

any tips?

I have tried walking away and kneeling and calling

thanks in advance

Gary

I used to have a cocker do this..I put him on a long line (about 30ft of it ) then did some basic retrieves..when he though about parading I could re gain control and just bring him in but with the right commands like here/fetch it in ..whatever ..once in lavished the most praise ever on him..even though you want to t""t him . Built this up till he went further with the line dragging...they cant escape as quick as they are it takes to long to take up the slack after a turn so he was always catchable..he soon got the gist of it and just started bring it straight back...then we shortened the line to a long dragging lead...then a collar and eventually nothing..by then he realised bringing it back was far more fun as he got to go again if he didn't tit about ..worked for me...but lot dep on the dog I guess...its highly praise driven though..but no tit bits Only advantage is you are always in control ..mostly .

Another you could try is give her the ball (if she's ball mad )...for bringing the dummy back..no dummy..no ball..takes a lot of patience testing this training malarkey :rolleyes:

Edited by PWD

Hi everyone

Bit of a strange one.... My 19 month lab will wait on command, and fetch the dummy I want but will 'parade' around with it doing laps in front of me and wont bring it in... she retrieves balls to hand.

any tips?

I have tried walking away and kneeling and calling

thanks in advance

Gary

Yep, it dont know what you want yet or it knows what it wants- to extend the game its letting you play :lol:

Do not follow it, do not snatch the dummy. If you can heel it off the lead call it to heel then take the dummy while its walking to tight heel - remember to reward at this time. OR stand with your back to a fence and call it in, dont take the dummy till its well in and a chest rub or tickle under the chin comes beforehand. Try a retrieving lane or existing stucture like a coridoor or path fenced both sides tight to the track.

Remember dont follow the dog and dont snatch :good:

It seems you have missed some previous training with this dog obviously there are reasons? If this has been going on from puppyhood its gonna be harder than you might manage without good pro help

Yep, it dont know what you want yet or it knows what it wants- to extend the game its letting you play :lol:

Do not follow it, do not snatch the dummy. If you can heel it off the lead call it to heel then take the dummy while its walking to tight heel - remember to reward at this time. OR stand with your back to a fence and call it in, dont take the dummy till its well in and a chest rub or tickle under the chin comes beforehand. Try a retrieving lane or existing stucture like a coridoor or path fenced both sides tight to the track.

Remember dont follow the dog and dont snatch :good:

It seems you have missed some previous training with this dog obviously there are reasons? If this has been going on from puppyhood its gonna be harder than you might manage without good pro help

yes i think you may be right, there is a trainer down the road we are due to go and see so think I will have to go there sooner than planned.

yes i think you may be right, there is a trainer down the road we are due to go and see so think I will have to go there sooner than planned.

Just a thought, have you anybody else in the house ? children wife etc, are they playing with the dog whilst you are out, they can give attention to the dog but you must lay down the ground rules, everybody must give the same commands....good sense from the other guys, but if you have a trainer near you as someone suggests get down and see him, they do it for a living, getting a gundog book is a nightmare, they all say slightly different things.....my greatest help was a book by P.R.A. Moxton, i think that was the name....just good commonsense all round.

P.S. its not the end of the world....ive a short memory, my black lab does exactly the same with DUMMIES when he was young, but with birds he comes right back and pushes them into my leg, im sure if i went out to the garden now he would still Fa*t about with dummies now !