Phytophthora ramorum in larch trees

Evening all,

A few of my local shoots are not surprisingly concerned about "Larch Disease" which has been found in a number of local woods. Apparently an aerial survey has been conducted and the disease has been spotted so now more detailed surveys are taking place on foot.

I know of at least one shoot that is rumoured to be considering not to put any birds down this season as at least two of their main woods are due to be flattened.

Has anyone else had any dealings with this worrying disease?

Thanks, Paul.

we lost 50%of our wood last spring. considered stopping altogether. but moved some pens, pulled birds in different directions and hoped.finished this season and the guns in our syndicate believed it to be the best season we have had. 33% return and have since caught up another 500. really hard work but use it to take stock and experiment.

Evening all,

A few of my local shoots are not surprisingly concerned about "Larch Disease" which has been found in a number of local woods. Apparently an aerial survey has been conducted and the disease has been spotted so now more detailed surveys are taking place on foot.

I know of at least one shoot that is rumoured to be considering not to put any birds down this season as at least two of their main woods are due to be flattened.

Has anyone else had any dealings with this worrying disease?

Thanks, Paul.

cutting trees down is the standard forestry answer, it wont stop it spreading and wont stop the disease, its a bit like treating hiv by shooting everyone diagnosed with it, they tried it with dutch elm disease and it didnt work, pheasants will roost in a dead tree and you could still earn a bit from the land, cut them down and you have nothing earning for at least 10 years, i always say if you have a pheasant roosting in a tree, you can charge someone 20 quid to shoot it, and you can do that every year, cut the tree down sell it for what 8 quid a ton and you have no pheasant to sell and you are 12 quid down in the first year and have no earning until you replant spray etc. the next crop of trees. amenity value even possibly firewood to burn yourself is worth more than the pittance you will get by haveing a full scale felling