Recall

Wharf Rat

My 8/9 month old whippet cross has had excellent recall til now. She gets a decent treat like tripe, salami or cream cheese, loads of praise and also played with using her favourite tugger toy when she comes back to the whistle. She was going great till last week when she caught her first (and very unseasonal!) rabbit kit. Her recall now disappears if she is on the scent now.

So far I have kept her on the lead more, and only taken her where I think she won't encounter game. I have also made even more fuss of her during recall training in the garden etc, but once on the scent/she has seen a rabbit, she has becomes a different dog.

I don't want to teach her that she can ignore the whistle by trying to recall her when she won't come either.

Any ideas?

I would suggest that you start working him on either a light drag line or a sturdy retractable lead such as a Flexi.

Start by working him in a park or yard to reinforce the recall, and then move into slightly heavier cover.....thick grass about 6 to 8 inches tall. Once steady then move into your regular cover, again reinforcing the recall. Once steady here I would start to work him in an area with known game. Keep him on the line until he comes every time without a pop on the lead, you can then work him with just a tab on his collar before working him with just his collar.

Remember to take it very slow and not to rush.

NTTF