Weather Observations

Highlander

Don't know why I haven't thought of this before but maybe you lot can help and then we'd all gain a bit more knowledge...I have a theory (just that at the moment) that barometric pressure plays a pretty large part in Woodys feeding habits. It would be very useful if when posting info about your days you'd make a note of the prevailing weather and especially the pressure. No guesses mind but a serious study. Note the pressure in mbs. Anyone care to take part? :good:

Don't know why I haven't thought of this before but maybe you lot can help and then we'd all gain a bit more knowledge...I have a theory (just that at the moment) that barometric pressure plays a pretty large part in Woodys feeding habits. It would be very useful if when posting info about your days you'd make a note of the prevailing weather and especially the pressure. No guesses mind but a serious study. Note the pressure in mbs. Anyone care to take part? :good:

The only weather effect at the moment around here Highlander is woodies feeding from 04.00am 'til 9.00ish.

Evening feed is 7.00 - last light. The ones feeding in between are in very low numbers.

A few people are doing well during the day at water holes but they wise up within a hour or so.

LB

The only weather effect at the moment around here Highlander is woodies feeding from 04.00am 'til 9.00ish.

Evening feed is 7.00 - last light. The ones feeding in between are in very low numbers.

A few people are doing well during the day at water holes but they wise up within a hour or so.

Bang on, I am seeing zip but the odd flightline bird until that hour / hour 1/2 when the sun has set enough for the temp to drop off, then the light goes :lol:

Damn this hot weather :lol:

i think the pressure does play a part.

low pressure is what they like im sure becuase that uis when it gets cloudy and rainy.

think about this.

if you were on a desert island with a big supply of food avalable and the weather was nice you wouldnt bother going to eat much of it for th first few days or you wouldnt gather it up becuase there would be no need to.

but

if it starts getting cloudy and windy you think there is a storm coming so you go out and gather as much food as possible to keep safe so that you can last through the storm.

this is the same for pigeons they would go out and feed intensly if it gets cloudy and windy to keep them alive through the storm or rain.

i learnt this through reading the book "the pigeon shooter".

what do you think?

go here http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2209 gives all the info including pressure in mb's for your local region. Only problem is they change it every 6 hours and it's never very accurate :good:

We all know about wind, rain etc but I don't know of anyone ever having done a study about barometric pressure and I'm of a mind that it does play a (major) role. Think how the weather, especially the pressure affects humans (women especially) oh I hope there's none reading this :lol: and I wonder if it affects Woody (and other birds/animals) in similar ways or even in ways! On low pressure days, especially thundery thick conditions do the birds become lethargic like us, do they sit around all day or are they moving about and with any purpose? I don't know but it would be interesting to test the theory.

Answers on a postcard please :lol:

Problem you have here is that to do it properly you need people to make the observations of pressure at the time they see the activity, and where they see the activity (or lack of it). This is hard because cheap barometers are utter **** and don't compensate for temperature (by cheap I mean under a hundred sheets).

If its hot, but low pressure (storm on the way perhaps) or cold with high pressure (on the turn) then the way the pigeon behave will be a lot different.

Not attacking your idea, far from it, I would like to help but I think it would need more thought about what to capture and how to qualify those data collected. If you intend to make assertions based on the data then this needs considering.

Mind, I am a total geek so these things worry me. You might have just meant in general :rolleyes:

go here http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2209 gives all the info including pressure in mb's for your local region. Only problem is they change it every 6 hours and it's never very accurate :rolleyes:

We all know about wind, rain etc but I don't know of anyone ever having done a study about barometric pressure and I'm of a mind that it does play a (major) role. Think how the weather, especially the pressure affects humans (women especially) oh I hope there's none reading this :D and I wonder if it affects Woody (and other birds/animals) in similar ways or even in ways! On low pressure days, especially thundery thick conditions do the birds become lethargic like us, do they sit around all day or are they moving about and with any purpose? I don't know but it would be interesting to test the theory.

Answers on a postcard please :sick:

Problem you have here is that to do it properly you need people to make the observations of pressure at the time they see the activity, and where they see the activity (or lack of it). This is hard because cheap barometers are utter **** and don't compensate for temperature (by cheap I mean under a hundred sheets).

If its hot, but low pressure (storm on the way perhaps) or cold with high pressure (on the turn) then the way the pigeon behave will be a lot different.

Not attacking your idea, far from it, I would like to help but I think it would need more thought about what to capture and how to qualify those data collected. If you intend to make assertions based on the data then this needs considering.

Mind, I am a total geek so these things worry me. You might have just meant in general :sick:

Highlander, you northern plonker, I spent 10 years of my life doing this 'barometer' stuff when doing serious carp fishing with a crew of nearly twenty bods.

In later years all we gleaned was that the carp had it LARGE when the thunder was giving it some :)

It cost us a bomb in diaries :rolleyes:

Not ******* on your chips but, watched woodies tonight throwing themselves into laid wheat, while we had the best thunderstorm that I can remember for the last 10 years or so.

Woodies don't like to get their feet wet, right?

LB