This Mornings Stalk.

Norrie

Hiya,

Today was my first day out with the gun in almost a month, due to work, and holidays..and I hadnt had a Roe this year yet...seen plenty, but not been in a position to shoot one.. So I was up at 5am, and I went to one of the farms to check it out before a mate of mine who I'm mentoring comes up from England next weekend...I had promised him, that any Bucks on the land, would be kept for him...well,as it transpires, that statement wasnt entirely true..:)

I did'nt expect to shoot anything, but took the .243 just in case..as you do...and went in the wee car I use for getting to and from work..well, I wasnt going to shoot anything, so a 4x4 wasnt needed...:)

Walked right round the track to the back of the farm, about 1.1/2 miles, and had heard or seen nothing...then heard a Roe bark...so, sat down and looked through the binos...there about 300+yds away was a heavily pregnant doe, and as the buck usually isn't too far away at these times, I just sat and waited, and waited, then maybe 30 mins later, he came strolling out of the trees...but he was still too far for me to shoot...so, I crawled on my belly through a peat bog,(totally mincing the brand new hunting trousers I'd bought from Bass Pro in Las Vegas less than two weeks ago)... till I got to about 220 yds from him, and waited another heart pumping ten minutes till he positioned himself for me to shoot...which I did, and he stood right up on his hind legs, and dropped straight over to the side....stone dead.

I went to check, and sure enough,he almost dropped where I shot him..,.he was gralloched using my new Mora knife..which i am growing to love ,the 100gr Federal round had gone right through his heart ...then I realised, I was about 1.1/2 miles from the car...gawd....it was all I could do to drag him over the bog, then the drag right round the track to the farmyard where my car was parked...I must have lost 5lbs in weight doing that,no bad thing I hear you say.... as it was a gorgeous day, and warm too...but eventually I made it,after many, many stops to catch my breath and the buck was loaded up, and back home to be skinned, and tomorrow it will be butchered up...for my own consumption..:) The head is skinned and being boiled up tomorrow...I'm going have a go at doing my own antler thingy.

So, I have already apologised to JJ about me shooting what was meant to be his Buck...but there are a few others on the farm, and the next one is his..:)

The day ended with a bit of Pest Control, where myself and Gavaroo had app 40 Feral Pigeons tonight, so, it's been a great day...

Roebuckmay2012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...