.22WMR Ammunition Test!

I managed to find the time to do the .22WMR ammunition tests I had planned this evening. Some of my shooting left a lot to be desired but I put that down to tiredness. I zeroed my rifle up with Federal 50g Hollow point ammunition at 100 yards and then worked back in 20 yards intervals back to 40 yards. I found that it was very flat shooting out to 80 yards but started to drop off when shot out to 100 yards. As I try not to shoot live quarry with my .22WNR beyond 100 yards I found that the optimum distance for me to zero my rifle up at with this ammunition was 80 yards which gave me as near as possible "aim and shoot" out to 80 yards and allow about 1 inch drop at 100 yards. At least I managed to end up with a sub 1 inch group of 4 shots at 80 yards which is fine for me, but I suspect that foxes are not going to be too delighted with it!

I will try to do a test at ranges beyone 100 yards at some time but I suspect that I am going to find quite a significant drop in POI once I go beyond 100 yards. Not to worry, here's the video:

Good video Frenchie, No charlie would have walked far from any of those shots if you had aimed for the chest!

Maybe so but as far as I am concerned I was quite disappointed with some of the shots, especailly those at 100 yards as I prefer to take head shots at foxes whenever possible and some of those shots would not have been acceptable for that type of ashooting. I could use the excuse that I was extremely tired after being on the go constantly from about 5:00 in the morning after several very busy days, but that would be just an excuse. I like to pride myself on my shooting abilities with a rifle and try my best to keep things "tight!, more like the group of 4 that I shot at the end of the video after I had zeroed the rifle to 80 yards. If I could do that all of the time I would be happier!

Thanks for your comment!

Very interesting. I started my true foxing career many years ago with a .22wmr and its caperble. 40gr are fine and it will kill cleanly in the body out to 125m's.

But if you are going to be foxing seriously then go to a centrefire. The hornet i made kills out to 200y and its very effetive below that range.

Then when you go to 222 upwards your into real fox killing territory and a hit nearly anywhere will spell the end for charlie.

I understand if you are shooting near building ect that a cf is maybe to much but the hornet will be safer then a .22 wmr and just as quiet.

:good:

yds mate, in answer to your comments, I agree with you. I have my .243 which is conditioned for foxes but I wanted something that was useful for shooting the odd fox while I was out shooting rabbits, or where noise was an issue. I have been using 40g ammunition and it does a very good job on a body shot fox but I would be the first to admit that the .22WMR can be a bit restrictive on range, however, at close range, say out to 80 yards or so with 50g or 120 yards with 40g it is a reasonable tool for the job, even if it is not quite as capable as a CF rifle. If I were going to get a rifle dedicated for foxes I would certainly opt for a CF!