Just started shooting, need some help!

jono pye

hi, i've just started getting interested in shooting, but i need some help getting going. i live on a farm in the north west of england. I need some help on what i need to go pigeon shooting, there is some weat fields on the farm so that is not a problem, i have a 12 bore shotgun, but there is so much stuff to buy related to pigeon shooting i dont know what i need.

welcome jono pye :good:

if you post a rough idea of location someone will be able to help ,as there are a few of us from the north west , im just outside chester ? if you are local i will glady fetch some of the toy,s availible to give you an idea what you may need . :good:

I am not being unhelpfull here, but the first thing you need to do is learn to shoot. Try and get out to a few clay grounds with a few lads off here, or someone who can shoot so you can get used to it all. If you can shoot already and I have misread your post, ignore this part :good:

Some people use all the toys and bells and whistles when pigeon shooting, some use a few decoys and have great results too. More about feildcraft and observation than having the very latest laser guided remote controlled multi-flapper rotary :no:

There are some very good threads here, it will take some time to go through them and see what others have been advised - if there are still questions then fire away :no:

Also, :good:

Hi,

First post for a year! I've spent the time out in the field!

Can't agree more with the above post. I'd get some lessons. I spent the best part of a grand on a gun and found out I was useless until I had some lessons on the clay ground. I found Skeet the most useful given the variety of different birds. The guys at the club, and even the trappers all had helpful hints.

It makes so much difference and you get a feel for what to shoot and what to leave alone. I'm still not a brilliant shot but I can second guess where I'm going wrong. Had I not had the lessons I'd not have one clue!

I have great sport with a dozen shell decoys, a hide made from 5 garden poles and some cheap cammo and one of those green foldup chairs from the petrol station! Oh and the Winchester!

Enjoy.

Loz