Good evening session

pete1dart

All day yesterday I was debating weather it would be worth going up the farm for a walk along the hedgerows after work. Stepped one foot in the door and the phone rang. Mrs picked the phone up and it was the boss from the farm. Hundreds of pigeons on the peas was the short conversation can you get up here. Me looking at her and her looking at me, I wasnt going to take no for an answer.

Got up the farm at 1830. Couldnt see any flying, so I put a shot up. I dont normally do that but there wasnt time to spot any flight lines. With the shot around 300-400 lifted from inbetween my bale hide and a walnut tree on the far hedge. My mind was made up, bale hide it is then. The rain was still coming down but it didnt seem to effect the pigeons.

Set up with just 8 shell decoys and a bit of bale lumping it was 1845. straight away the birds were coming back, with more or less constant shooting till 2000. Ended up with 21 which was an added bonus considering I wasnt expecting 21 shots. Only had 3 or 4 decoy, but they were floating over within range of the bale hide. Cant wait for a bit of decent weather and an all day session.

All day yesterday I was debating weather it would be worth going up the farm for a walk along the hedgerows after work. Stepped one foot in the door and the phone rang. Mrs picked the phone up and it was the boss from the farm. Hundreds of pigeons on the peas was the short conversation can you get up here. Me looking at her and her looking at me, I wasnt going to take no for an answer.

Got up the farm at 1830. Couldnt see any flying, so I put a shot up. I dont normally do that but there wasnt time to spot any flight lines. With the shot around 300-400 lifted from inbetween my bale hide and a walnut tree on the far hedge. My mind was made up, bale hide it is then. The rain was still coming down but it didnt seem to effect the pigeons.

Set up with just 8 shell decoys and a bit of bale lumping it was 1845. straight away the birds were coming back, with more or less constant shooting till 2000. Ended up with 21 which was an added bonus considering I wasnt expecting 21 shots. Only had 3 or 4 decoy, but they were floating over within range of the bale hide. Cant wait for a bit of decent weather and an all day session.

Do you think that there is any chance that your evening session might have put the birds off the pea field for a while? Pigeons have been very funny about peas this year. I put 200 off a pea field before setting up at a time of day when they had been coming in to feed and only a small percentage came back.

The past 3 weeks or so is the only time there have been any good numbers on the fields since they were drilled. We have 3 fields the only ones that I know of in the area, the field we were expecting to hit hasn't been touched since 3 days after it was drilled.

It has been funny on peas this year and as I can't get out as often as I would like any chance I get is a bonus at the moment. Farmer is happy that they are not there tonightbut it has been very wet today. Even more than yesterday. So cant really judge if a late evening blast has pushed them on or not?

The past 3 weeks or so is the only time there have been any good numbers on the fields since they were drilled. We have 3 fields the only ones that I know of in the area, the field we were expecting to hit hasn't been touched since 3 days after it was drilled.

It has been funny on peas this year and as I can't get out as often as I would like any chance I get is a bonus at the moment. Farmer is happy that they are not there tonightbut it has been very wet today. Even more than yesterday. So cant really judge if a late evening blast has pushed them on or not?

Good luck. I have watched some of my pea fields possibly fifteen days in the last month and there has been very little activity on them. Last year at this time on the same estate I had already shot good numbers. I believe that the pea growth is backward this year due to the cold weather. May be the pigeons will start on the soon?

Had a look in my diary. Last year we didnt have any peas but the farm next door did. We had some good shooting on the flightlines early in June right up till when they were cut. This year has been backward for everything pigeon related. Peas are now podded up tho with only a few flowers left. The best day we have had on the farm is 136 in over 20 years shooting it. The average good day is any where between 20-40. So a good day for me is 20!

Well done mate, Glad you had a good evening out :good:

Like everyone else i think we are all waiting for the weather to dry up a bit.

A decent effort, but would it have been possible to get there earlier on a following evening and stand a good chance of a far better bag?

Just come back from there now. Old man has been up there all day for 32. Said more said decoying but I had a walk around with my 2 year old nipper tagging along. I had 4 just walking along tracks and hedges.

Had and seen alot of pigeon raising from peas, wheat and uncut grass on our side. Noticed alot on next doors barley aswell. The barley field is right next door to a clump of trees on our side which we had a record bag of last time it was the same crop.

The little blighters are on everything round our way. Were just pushing them from one field onto another!