hollowpoint expansion

Any body else finding that with the winnie subs on rabbits,a close shot and its 50/50 if it runs and yet at any distance they blow em open like a .17hmr with major damage to the meat and shattering of bones etc :hmm:

Not quite,but strangely have noticed they seem to hit rabbits harder at longer range,possibly just zipping through at close range.Preferred option for me is head shot(if possible) up to about 50/60yds and chest shot at longer range.

Getting back to the expansion side,I shoot 800+ rabbits a year most years but up to now have only recovered 6 bullets from rabbit carcases,picture shows impressive expansion.

Winnie sub.

post-3485-0-93973000-1342296888.jpg

I did a water test on my HMR when I had it. All I found was the plastic tip, the base and loads of tiny fragments. That was 17gr Remington Accutip. It's so light and fast that there's rarely much to be found.

Mythbusters tested the 'bullet fired into water' thing (whether you would be safe from being shot at if you dived into water) and the results were quite surprising. The bullets on all of the modern, high-velocity rifles they tested disintegrated within a very short distance of entering the water. They even fired a .50BMG round into water (the municipal swimming pool, no less!!!) and concluded that you would safe from it even if you were only about thee feet under the surface. Very surprising indeed!

J. .