webber & Gunner Gordon on the Rape

webber

After work yesterday Gunner Gordon and I decided to go and check on some barley and rape that we have permission to shoot over. As we drove down the lane it was soon obvious that all of the rape had recently been harvested and most of the barley. We sat for a while, watched the woodies and hatched a plan for a 8:30 start this morning.

We arrived a little before 9 and checked that the pigeon were still feeding where we intended to set up. I drove the Rangie over the stubbles, unloaded the gear, and checked the wind direction, not that there really was one. I explained to Gunner Gordon how to set out the decoys, and drove the Rangie to a safe place. I walked back to start building the hide, and then realised that I'd left the hide poles at home. I had a quick look around for some suitable hazel, but nothing doing, so I explained to GG what I was going to do, oh, and by the way, the decoys are facing the wrong way.

I set off back towards St. Helens, and eventually managed to contact the soup draggon with a request for her to find the poles and place them in the front garden. I returned to the field and soon had the hide built, the large oak tree that we pruned some months ago was to provide plenty of shade and overhead cover. We settled down to start shooting at 9:45, it soon became apparent that something was putting the birds off decoying, eventually we stopped the whirrly, but it made little difference, the pigeon wouldn't decoy but we got some slow but steady shooting from a flightline almost straight towards us, and another from left to right. It took me a few shots to get my eye in. GG and I take it in turns to shoot, and it took him a considerable number of attempts before he eventually connected with the final shot of the day.

At about 11:30 GG declared that he was going for a walk with his gun, on his return he would make us a proper brew. After a short while I heard two shots, not long after he returned empty handed and set to make a brew. He soon produced a small Gaz stove, dixie and flask containing pre heated water. However the musical lighter failed to perform its primary function, so GG decided to change the gas canister. I'm not sure how, but the contents of the new gas canister were soon wafting around the hide, I therefore advised GG to avoid any further renditions of the god foresaken tune produced by the lighter lest it actually managed to produce a spark. I've played this game before, and can advise that propane does not take prisoners. None the less a very acceptable brew was produced; as we drank the last we heard shots from two different directions, and the birds were soon steadily on the move.

The weather forecast has indicated heavy rain around 4pm, however around 2pm we could hear claps of thunder in the distance, and as GG finally broke his duck we packed up to avoid a soaking. Our timing was spot on, for as we left the farm I deployed the windscreen wipers for the journey home.

I'm just about to be allowed access to the kitchen to de breast my share of our small but enjoyable bag. Its nice to go shooting, even nicer to share the bag with friends even if I do have to prep it for them.

webber