when to de-breast / crown a pigeon?

tom9284

hi can anyone tell me whens the best time to de-breast / crown a pigeon. i went shooting last night and got back quite late so i put the pigeons i'd brought home in the fridge. I have de-breasted a couple this morning but it seemed to be hard work is this because they are cold? thanks. :rolleyes:

I dont take birds home todo any more what with the mess and it seems to take alot longer. I do mine just before packing up,rip wings off ,thumb under the sternum and pull back and off,leaving adouble breast/crown then run a knife down each side and fillets in a bag or tupperware to take home and sort. I did 30 birds yesterday in 10-15 minutes ,have a bottle water ready to rinse knife and hands off. Best to do them just inside awood or hedge ,so simple and easy .

I don't think he's saying leave the pigeons in the hedge, but prep them there... then placing waste in bags for disposal in the correct manner :)

I crowned some the other day which were all cooled overnight. It surely is a wee bit tougher but not a great deal. However, my weak wrists gave up at the 130 mark.

Edited by huffhuff