204 ruger ?

Amazed

What I am after Kent is a long range bunny/ crow gun what I would call a static rifle, something I can sit with on the hill at the back of my permission, I have a good view with good backstops of about 160 degs . But as its never been passed for centre fire the hornet seemed a good starting ask as the twitchy fire arms department will go off paper and to be honest it will do the job I am asking of it quite well. But as the manufactures seem to be fasing this round out it will give me the op to ask for a more modern round just out of the availability aspect. 17 rem or 204 maybe but nothing too big as the bunny option will go out off the widow as I like to eat them ;) it was the approach I was advised to take.

Thankyou for your input :)

Karl.

it all depends what you call long range but bear in mind a field under 20 acres you can usually shoot to 300 yards and your sit out and shoot idea shows the hornet may not be the best option. The 17 hornet seems to be an idea to correct a few of the problems with the standard hornet like trajectory and does look interesting. Not sure how its re vitalising the .22 hornet tough.

Personally if you don't have muntjac I know which gives you more ability long range, if you like to walk about and shoot at closer targets and take a few dozen rabbits a year then the hornet may be an option otherwise the .204 seems to be rather an interesting fox and long range vermin gun. The other ting to bear in mind is you can shoot close stuff with a long range gun but you can't shoot the further stuff with one more designed for close quarters combat.

Interesting reading on the .204. First thing I would say is that I would place a good bet the .22 Hornet will be around as long as the sun rises in the East. Calibres come and go, some are very good ballistically, but if not accepted widely in the commercial marketplace, ammunition and component supplies will reduce as it simply isn't viable for manufacturers to produce them once the initial rush dries up. Then it spirals downwards to oblivion.

The .17HMR is a great example of a commercial success.

At least one point in favour of everything from .218Bee to .220Swift is that the projectiles are available and always will be as they are used in the commercially viable rounds.

Splash wounds happen in almost any calibre if varmint type heads are used. I have had them in .243 and .22-250 loads using Nosler BT that normally produce massive damage.

I think the .204 has a place and is building a good reputation. The .22 Hornet seems to have been around forever but things move on. Still a cracking round and one that has put a lot of stuff to bed over several decades. Only time will tell if the .204 remains as popular.

Its true the .22 Hornet aint the best choice for 300yds (it will do it though in the right hands) thing is what you do shoot is edible without undue damage. what is long range anyway? it might be 50yds with an airgun 250 with a hornet or 600+ with a 7mm WSM . In fairness the .20 Ruger cannot beat a .243 win on wind or drop, terminals, availability or available legal quarry, so were exactly do we draw the compomise line? its got to be personal

Thing is though, for the .243 to be equal on drop with the 204 the 243 has to be using light bullets and to beat the 204 on wind has to be using heavy bullets. So it is as you say all compromise.

I have to say that as a vermin gun the 204 seems to have more going for it compared with the 243.

Thing is though, for the .243 to be equal on drop with the 204 the 243 has to be using light bullets and to beat the 204 on wind has to be using heavy bullets. So it is as you say all compromise.

I have to say that as a vermin gun the 204 seems to have more going for it compared with the 243.

There are a massive amount of 6mm bullets about, i think your only looking at a small selection. The BC is actually more important than muzzle speed, this is why the .20 scores over a .22 and also why the .243 does actually score over the .20 ruger yes on wind and drop with one bullet- just select the best rather than random guesses. the fact is a mid range weight bullet will often shoot flatter than a light one once you get out there some BUT it does depend on which bullet against which