Silent Backstop

Batmancaver

I'm sure that I cant be the only one with this problem.

I live on the edge of a small housing estate. I have a decent sized garden which gives me a 15-20m shooting range. The boundary is all brick walled, so no danger of the pellets leaving the boundary.

My problem is the noise that I get from my backstop.

Initially I used a steel funnel trap. Fantastic thing apart from the clang / clang / clang you got with every hit. Plus I shot the back out of it!

From there I moved up to a two 4cm board nailed together back to back. This has produced a great backstop which was initially fairly guiet.

However, now that I am getting more proficient at hitting the bull more consistently it has got noisier and noisier due to the used pellets stacking up in the wood. Digging them out does not help much as it soon builds up again.

Now, I get on well with my neighbours and I want it to stay that way. My main neighbour is a bit deaf so the noise does not bother him, but when he has visitors they get a bit put out by the noise, especially on these nice sunny days we have had this summer.

So does anyone have any ideas for a super silent backstop?

I need one that can be moved about easily.

Any ideas would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Karl

I had some lead left over in the bottom of a pan from casting some diving weights. It makes a great backstop once knocked out the pan, with just a very dull 'splat' on impact, and no ricochettes, the pellet just 'melts into the surface of the slab, and I don't even have to gather up the bits. Works for me :angry:

Phil

Actually thats a good point lol, I noticed it the other day...you can have a nice big silencer on your gun, but when you hit quarry u usually get a huge CRACK or if your shooting at a pellet catcher u get a nice big TWANG/THUMP lol. Perhaps an old copy of the yellow pages or something at the back might work? I mean itd be relatively quiet when hit and take quite a pounding before its useless....

-Andrew

Actually thats a good point lol, I noticed it the other day...you can have a nice big silencer on your gun, but when you hit quarry u usually get a huge CRACK or if your shooting at a pellet catcher u get a nice big TWANG/THUMP lol. Perhaps an old copy of the yellow pages or something at the back might work? I mean itd be relatively quiet when hit and take quite a pounding before its useless....

-Andrew

Trouble is getting the rabbits to carry yellow pages around :angry:

Thanks for the replies. The good and the bad ones ... I don't know, how am I supposed to get the neighbours to wear ear muffs !!! :angry:

I will try and get hold of a tub of plumbers putty and see if that works. Then I will have to adapt my pellet trap and see if it works. If it does then I will have a go at copying this silent trap (http://www.archerairguns.com/trap.html) I found on the web. It looks the biz, but at $120 posted ( :good: ) then I do not think that I will order one!

Thanks again for the help

Karl