Will there be a drop????

Guest jonrms

Just curious, I havnt noticed a drop or curve in ammo, but wanted to know a bit more about the tech side.

I have my site zereo'd in to 25 yards. but at 50 and 75 it still shoots fine. (rim fire!)

When does the drop occur??? I am using Winchester subs. with sound mod on 2 .22 lr rifles.

Anyway .. I think it drops very very slightly at 100 yards... but not by a huge deal.

My knowledge of this is limited but from my .22 target shooting which is done at 15yds I can tell you that there is little difference between the POI from 15yds and 50 yds. This is because the bullet is still rising at 15yds and dropping at 50 yds.

The drop at 100yds is about 6inches, this was done at Bisley a little while ago.

There is a website which I think is www.rimfirecentral.com which will explain it in detail.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Martin

Just curious, I havnt noticed a drop or curve in ammo, but wanted to know a bit more about the tech side.

I have my site zereo'd in to 25 yards. but at 50 and 75 it still shoots fine. (rim fire!)

When does the drop occur??? I am using Winchester subs. with sound mod on 2 .22 lr rifles.

Anyway .. I think it drops very very slightly at 100 yards... but not by a huge deal.

25 yard zero win subs ? @ 75 yards you WILL have a drop of 4.1/4" inches @ 100yards it will be 12"!!

mine is zero'd at 65yards gives me a rise of no more than 1.1/2" @ 35yard to 45 yards and is near enough to be effective without thought between 10 and 75 yards, after that hold over become considerable ie 6" @ 100yards

send your range finder back?

cheers KW

I have been doing some tests with my rifle and noticed that in alot of these ballistic reports etc it says it drops. Weather I am compensating naturally or not is remaining to be seen... I will have to be very consious of this next time I shoot.

I have not noticed any problems when I shoot.. it was a matter of interest that I ask.

I have used and tryed these on ranges... which is why I asked. there was about 4 inch drop total when I did 100 yards .. but at 50 I didnt notice any differance. well less than a inch...

at 25 yards I was hitting the target which I zereod in for.. every time.. spot on.. almost bullet on top of bullet....

This is why I asked.. but no where near as much as 6 inches..... ;)

Fister I already tested it..

I am confused about the the stats listed and those that are actually occuring in the drop rate... and on a picky side gravity effects the ballistic at all times but there is not drop from leaving the barrel. As it was already stated it actually increases in height then drops after say 15 yards ...

The main reason for my question is to see (an I dont think I asked it correctly) what others have experiance. Do they / you have varying results with the drop ratio. Is it more or less than the stated drop results.

I know that at 100 yards the bullet will drop. (noticible from say 25 yards) but does anyone else find that its not as far as a drop as the manufactures say it will be.

I hope this clears it up.. and to note as well about the bullet continuing to gain speed.. thats rubbish.. there is only a point to which it will gain speed/ momentum then it will slowly cease and be left by momentium itself.... example.. a 22 bullet can travel aprox 1 mile or so... but in honestly you would never dream of hitting anything with it at that range.. why because there will not be enough force / joults behind it to take a target down...

anyway thanks for your replys.... ;)

25yd zero = 1/2" drop @ 50 BUT at 100 the drop IS 12" 100 is without a range finder a fair bit further than most realise I reckon you 100 is nearer 70? also bare in mind that when you are zeroing a gun you first of all have to get the bullet to rise to and then above the initial center of the scope ? ie the exact level you are looking at, this means that you are allowing the bullet to rise and then fall to the poi, the bullet does not fire "flat" out of the barrel? as said you are already aiming up, to allow for your view point being at least 1. 1/2" inches higher than the barrel. 25 yard zero for a rimmy is not as good idea as that is the highest point in the bullets trajectory ie it is relatively flat from 25 to 35yds then down she comes.

cheers KW

the tests were done at propper club ranges... not by view finders etc...

I am just baffled but I do think that some of my own natural instinct kicked in.. i may have not realised that I have been aiming that bit higher than expected..

hmmm all interesting.