Falcon in my on suite

kent

Last night comming down the dirt track to the house i noticed a bird in the headlights, it didn't look too well. Anyway i menaged to stop the car get out visually confirm things were not well with it, go back in the house for a cardboard box to pop it in and an old shirt to throw over it in order to expedate its capture. Based on the principle of lowest stress least done just keep it warm and free of preditors for the night i placed it into our on -suite room (the only room i have yet to fit out). In the past when i have done such things i have found it a 50/50 thing on if it makes it through the first night.

Phoning around i got a little advice from a falkener, about the likely issues and poissible fixes. Basically do as you are doing but try and get some food in it as it had most likely lost essential condition to fly. So i left it there in a partaly opened box with a few fresh strips of beef.

closer inspection the next morning confirmed not only its poor weight but also a neck injury, though this was not effecting its ability to move its head around also confirming it to be a Kestrel not the sparrow hawk i first thought it was (the xeonon beam on the Audi is a little dazzling at 8ft). Speaking again to the Falkener the emphisis has been clear, dont tame it,dont stress it and get it back onto its territory asap while not so quick it was going to struggle or fail to regain its flying / hunting weight and perish.

Anyhow its eating like a pig now being quite fond of Hare chunks in the fur and all is thus far looking for a good release middle of week ish. Plan being a soft release off an outbuilding roof leaving food for a few days incase it starts to struggle to capture prey on its own again so quick. So fingers crossed all will go well with the little friend in the bathroom

Any pics ??

The idea is least contact and lowest stress, dont think photography and flash will help that goal realy. Thinking of getting the realease filmed though if all goes well fingers crossed. Talked over me driving the bird 15-20 miles over to the advisor then back to the release site and gaining the on hand experiance of the pro (i think its one of a maited pair i see almost daily so it must go back here) but the stress will out weigh the benefits and it was decided to carry on as it appears the wound might be healing up enough to not be a handicap on release. Have done other birds in the past but this is my first BOP. To be honest its hard to not get too involved and end up with a tame bird as i believe this is all too common with them, there certainly seems to be an understanding already at this very early stage and not just blind panic when i enter to feed.

Don't worry too much about it getting too tame. It will recognise you as a source of food but will return to the wild fine. Just keep feeding it good food try to get some mice for it as they are a natural food source and a good source of protein. I have a fair bit of experience with this kind of thing. I own a bird of prey centre and teach falconry at an agricultural college.

Good luck.

Don't worry too much about it getting too tame. It will recognise you as a source of food but will return to the wild fine. Just keep feeding it good food try to get some mice for it as they are a natural food source and a good source of protein. I have a fair bit of experience with this kind of thing. I own a bird of prey centre and teach falconry at an agricultural college.

Good luck.

Yes this is as i have been advised, if my wife catches me bringing dead mice into the house though.................! it's doing well on the Hare though and its far richer than Rabbit. Considering adding some powdered Glucose as used on lambs, any good spinkled on?

I wouldn't use glucose powder just keep up the feeding. Feed her/ him as much as it will eat.

As a side note keep an eye out for flat flies these are like flat blue bottles. They are parasitic flies that live on injured birds but can bite humans. They are horrible b***y things.

On the plus side when everything works out there is no better feeling than watching a bird return to the wild.

Bird released as planned wed morn. In good flying condition. Got into a ruck with a pair of crows and proved it could fly a bit, the a massive full on scrap with another of his type, it was incredible to watch locked tallons a good 50yds up and spinning right to the ground for a toe to toe slugging match. I was in its corner and had prepared him well for the fight but its a tough world out there. I suspect he did well coz he was doing ok at the end of round one when i had to do the school run. Not seen either bird scince then though but it has been very wet and no carcass found of either bird