dog vest

bsamatt

hi all,

can anyone reccomend me a dog vest that can be used on my ess, whos on the beating line?? last year in the depths of winter he started shivering once hed been charging through the wet cover strips and woodland, all day. So this year i thought that a waterproof vest would be a good investment. I like the look of the dokken 3mm neoprene ones, but ive read that there not designed for the beating line because of brambles,barbed wire etc, but i suppose its better to cut that than the dog!! would any of you guys use one of the neoprene type ones when beating?? I'll only be using it when it is really cold as i dont want it to have the opposite effect and the dog ends up overheating! any advice appreciated

cheers matt

I have to say I've never seen a dog wearing one in 25 years of beating, my worry would be getting the dog stuck in brambles as they will dig in and hold. Overall I'd suggest its a bad idea, better option if its a real problem is take a few towels to get it dry as soon afterwards as possible.

I would be suprised if a spaniel got too cold in a beating line, even during a cold Black Country winter. Yes, you may see him shiver now & again when he is wet & in between drives, but is this excitement to get going again or a healthy body doing it's job. If you too, like me, get worried about a dog getting cold after a days working (or even during a long break at lunch time), then I recommend a fleece type waistcoat. I use an Equifleece jumper for my cocker, and after having the pi** taken out of me for putting it on him at first, a few of the other beaters have seen the light & got their dogs one too. Neoprene jackets have their place in my view if a dog is inactive for long periods in very cold weather with a swim now & again, although some hardened fowlers will dissagree with me i'm sure.

your dog shouldnt get cold beating, its in serious danger of overheating working in a vest which are realy the tool of the winter wildfowlers dog. I should put it down to exitement or a soft indoor dog. Before you decide why not take its temprature and compare start of day with when it shivers?