Baikal 27e-1c Does it have a barrel selector?

Newbie novice

Hi everyone

This is my first post so please go easy on me if this is a dumb question? ??? ???

Do all 27e-1c have a barrel selection via the trigger?

I'm looking at buying an old Baikal from a good friend as I'm just starting out shooting, I have read through the manual for this model and it suggests that the gun should have a barrel selector - by engaging the safety and pushing the trigger forward then you should be able to fire the top barrel first.....

He was unsure and when I tried, the trigger seemed to be very stiff and did not move forward I didn't want to force it as its not my gun and I didn't want to damage it. It was made in 1988 according to the serial number......only interested as it has fixed chokes and having the choice of two is better than no choice.

Thanks for any help or advice :yes: :yes: :yes:

I'm far from an expert on Baikals, but here's a couple of thoughts. The trigger might be stiff pushing foward as it hasn't been used, or maybe it needs cartridges in it first before you can select? You will feel a "click" once the top barrel is engaged.

Thanks for your responses guys,

What I really would like to know, if there any Baikal enthusiasts out there who could tell me...Is there any single trigger 27e-1c models that do not have a barrel selector? as in if I have one that doesn't and I push the trigger forward is it going to break?? Sorry I'm new to shooting and it seems each make/model of gun comes in about 6 or 7 variants, could it be that some don't have barrel select???

Thanks again for taking the time to respond....

SxS is a single trigger OU has selector but never use it, bottom first everytime tend to use similar chokes in both barrels either 1/4 & 3/8 or 1/2 & 3/4 if using a different barrel selection made a any difference i would be a much better shot!

See it shoot it if the clay is close drop 9's in if its far drop in 7's if its game use 6-5-4 in 30-40g

Edited by HDAV

I agree but as newbie I dont think worrying about the difference between the chokes is important have it reamed out to 1/2 and 1/2 and get on and shoot. Thats without going through the fit, eye dominance, stance and 100 other things that are more pertinent to shooting well than barrel/choke selection.

In my humble opinion of course....

Newbie Novice, does it fit and what are you going to be shooting?

Edited by HDAV

I used to own a Baikal many years ago and the barrels are chrome plated including the choked part of the barrel. Having the choke reamed out will not be cheap.

In my humble opinion the easiest and cheapest way to open the gun out, is to cut a little bit off the barrels after having them measured and marked approximatley where to cut the barrels as they used to have a tapered choke.

I did this quite succsesfully and filled the gap in with solder and retapped the rib for a bead.

Hi guys

Thanks for all your feed back (I appreciate all advice), as stated I am new to this but I was under the impression that chokes can play a significant role in both range and size of shot pattern, this would be helpful to me as I intend to shoot sporting clays until I'm confident that I can responsibly shoot (i.e kill clean), when shooting clays and in particular pairs, being able to chose the barrel with the longer range or wider/larger pattern first could make a big difference to my ability to hit clays.

I have read here and else where that Baikals are know for being tight (I assume this means the chokes) the one I'm looking at has 1/2 and 3/4 chokes, not sure if this is the norm and not sure at my level (total novice) that there will be much difference it practice???

Budget is an issue for me so I can't spent a lot of money on expensive guns or gun fitting, I have done all the usual tests, stock in forearm, finger on trigger, 3 fingers between nose and thumb of right hand when the gun is mounted, I have right eye dominance, and shoot off my right shoulder, I think the Baikal with factory recoil pad is a touch to long so going to replace the recoil pad with a kickeez or limbsaver if I can get one slimmer than the factory fit.......Any advice on this would be great :yes: :yes: