Trigger Action, O/U vs Semi

Sandbank

In the past I have seen posts extol the virtues of O/U trigger action compared to semi-autos.

As an owner of both for many years, I guess I have adapted to the strengths and weaknesses of each. However for several weeks I have exclusively used my B325 Browning, shooting around 1,200 clays.

Half way through recent practice session I decided to give my A300 Outlander an airing and was surprised how crude the trigger action felt by comparison, lacking the smooth progressive feel of the Browning.

I still think the Outlander is a great gun, reliable and handles well and after a few stands had re-adjusted to it. In fairness to Beretta, my AL390 Gold Mallard is quite a bit smoother, probably a result of many tens of thousands of trigger pulls honing the action.

Back in my pistol shooting days I had a Wilson tuned S&W 686 which was significantly smoother to shoot than a mates 'standard' 586. I guess this begs the question, does anyone have experience of trigger action 'tuning' for semi-auto shotguns?

Quite agree Sandbank, someone should have told Beretta they need to refine their triggers not incorporate a digital trip computer :lol: , same for that new Fabarm thing selling for £1950 :hmm::sad1: , they go on and on about the raised rib and stuff but not a word about the trigger which is bound to be industrial.

I have to say I've never really noticed how the triggers on any of my shotguns feel. On rifles I'm very fussy but with shotguns you're almost always moving and putting more concentration into the target than the gun.

I'm off to fire them all onto snap caps now. I feel the need to know!

Shot gun triggers tend to be pulled unlike pistol and rifle triggers that are generally squeezed . You will proberbly get away with a poor trigger pull on a shotgun as to a poor trigger pull on a rifle or a pistol .

Harnser .

I agree with that, guess if I hadn't used the two guns back to back I probably would not have noticed the difference so clearly. Just that my old Browning O/U is that much smoother than my newish Outlander.

As mentioned, Beretta semis. improve with use. Just wonder how much (or little) effort it would have taken them with a bit of polishing of metal on metal surfaces to make a nice gun that bit better.

P.S. Harnser, I always view your name and avatar with nostalgia. Spent first 15 years of my life near Costessey, later moved to Oulton Broad for a few years. Although I have been in Kent for 45 years, I still annoy the wife by calling a floor cloth a 'dwile'.

Edited by Sandbank

I agree with that, guess if I hadn't used the two guns back to back I probably would not have noticed the difference so clearly. Just that my old Browning O/U is that much smoother than my newish Outlander.

As mentioned, Beretta semis. improve with use. Just wonder how much (or little) effort it would have taken them with a bit of polishing of metal on metal surfaces to make a nice gun that bit better.

P.S. Harnser, I always view your name and avatar with nostalgia. Spent first 15 years of my life near Costessey, later moved to Oulton Broad for a few years. Although I have been in Kent for 45 years, I still annoy the wife by calling a floor cloth a 'dwile'.

A dwile for the floor and a TERL for the body . .an old cossy boy aye ?

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser