Shotmaker prototype 1

Hi All,

This morning the shotmaker 1 was finished, for the moment I want to try it with the mig bits to see how it works adn later will be using bolts m6, tomorrow I will give it a try, need to buy some conditioner first and to do a few ingots, lead and wheel weights, 1 to 4 ratio. The shotmaker in the immage its 25x20x4cm with 3 drippers, the front plate as been intenionally welded with a 10mm steel to help with heat retention, the back legs can be adjusted with the bolt type mech, the 35mm lip its already bent a 12'.

If you see something wrong in the prototype please advise and be blunt as much as possible so that I can modify

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

Use larger bolts for the drippers so when a hole is drilled down the length there is enough meat to stop the thread stretching when tightened, I use M8x12.

The accepted best angle for the ramp is 30degrees, my pot is tilted at 12' and the ramp itself is 18'. Tilting the pot itself throws the lead forwards and puts extra pressure on the drippers which helps them flow well.

Wheel weight lead is pretty much perfect as is, going 1-4 with lead is watering it down a bit too much, and make sure the WW aren't zinc they stopped making lead ones about 5yrs ago

Give it all a go though and see what happens :good:

Ty Essex hunter,

As soon prototype finished and all working perfectly, Its my intention of fabricateing them and selling them as per cost price, I think what is stopping many people to get more passionate about reloading its the overwelming task of building and sort out materials, I would like to point out that I am a beginner about reloading, but there are some very good people in this forum and very helpfull...floating chambes...siitingedges and so on, does are the people that we need to treasure, they have great exsperience and knowledge.

This unit hopefully when finished should cost under 50 pounds, and it will solve the problem about makeing leat shots, I need to start working on the bucket and tray now, surely I'll find something usefull at the scrappy.

Ty

Mark

Hi wheel weights are made of zink and mig nozzels dia might be to big

0.8 or 0.9 to big?

mig tips come in .6mm .8mm 1mm and 1.2mmthe dripper hole you want is about .6mm.

what size mig tips did you fit ?

the bigest problem with them thay loose heat fast and stop working

In this shotmaker I threaded m6, and the mig tips are 0.8, and I have some 0.9, to make some shot 6 or 5.5, do you think its not correct, should I go lower or higher?

Ty

when i tryed the mig tip way i was using .6 mm tips plus the drippers i made from m8 s/s bolts has a .6 mm hole in them in fact they have two holes in each dripper one on one flat and the second on the next flat thay make between 5-6 shot depending on

1 .

how much lead is in the pot .higher lead =moor head pressure so lead will run faster which makes smaller shot or less lead pressure makes lead drip slower making larger shot.

lead aloy and temp

Edited by fruitloop

The problem with shotmakers is that they aren't like washing machines where you just press a button and forget about it until you take the clean washing out.

They are more akin to a trowel where the user needs an amount of skill and experience to get the best out of them.

Without this experience you are doomed to a lot of frustration. We can help but you have to overcome the problems you find yourself to become properly proficient at making shot.

The problem with shotmakers is that they aren't like washing machines where you just press a button and forget about it until you take the clean washing out.

They are more akin to a trowel where the user needs an amount of skill and experience to get the best out of them.

Without this experience you are doomed to a lot of frustration. We can help but you have to overcome the problems you find yourself to become properly proficient at making shot.

I fully agree, but if you dont have wheels you can't drive a car round the race track, I'm trying to standarize a shotmaker, so that even the inesperienced can have a go, without ecountering the problem in the making of the tool, the use of it and the best outcome...as you said will come with esperience.

Ok, so we all agreing on hole size, 0.8=n6, 0.9=5.5

I fully agree, but if you dont have wheels you can't drive a car round the race track, I'm trying to standarize a shotmaker, so that even the inesperienced can have a go, without ecountering the problem in the making of the tool, the use of it and the best outcome...as you said will come with esperience.

Ok, so we all agreing on hole size, 0.8=n6, 0.9=5.5

Smaller shot will always be easier to tackle whilst learning. It's easier to get round etc.