Clay shooting clubs near Gloucester,

njc110381

After reading the posts on gaining a cert, I'm thinking maybe I shold join a club aswell as have land to shoot. I seem to remember there being a few of you in my area so which clubs are you members of? I'm not sure where to start really, but I don't want to drive too far if possible. Any good ideas?

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that there is another one a bit closer than that. I went past it the other day, it's about 45mins from my house! I know a few others, but am unsure how to get to them. There's Stroud clay shooters club, one at wotton under edge, and one at Norton (between Gloucester and Tewkesbury). I was just wondering if anybody on here used them at all? It'd be nice to shoot with somebody on the forum if possible. It's nice to put a face to a name.

That would be good. How often do you visit? It's a fair treck from your part of the world isn't it. If it wasn't so far to travel, I'd have been on holiday somewhere near you by now. The country sounds really nice. I hate flying though! Give me a shout when you're over next then, we could go for a beer somewhere.

When you say W-U-E do you mean the one at Huntingford or is there another one? I used to shoot there a few years ago, It was run by a really nice chap from Chipping Sodbury. I used to go up on a Saturday afternoon with a couple of other chaps and 'test' the layout for him. He had a heart attack and I think someone else took it on.

I shot at a shooting school at Seven springs a few times, Chatcombe Estate? They did a 50 bird practice on a Thursday evening I think it was.

Ian

I never thought of the CPSA site, that's a good idea! As for the W-U-E club, I'm not really sure where abouts it is. I just know that there is one in that area somewhere! I may have to do a bit of phoning around the clubs. There is a good list of shoots in Sporting Shooter magazine, so I'll have to just ring all the ones that are local. I once had a few shots at a small meet in a field near stonehouse. They run it every boxing day and new year, and the father of one of my old school mates used to shoot there. Might have to go knock on his door for ideas too! There is a club quite near to my house, I might go over on the weekend and see if anybody's about. Quite scary not knowing anybody there though!

I've been on the CPSA website and have found the details of some local clubs. I've e-mailed the chap at Gloucester clay shooting club, and also found one I didn't know about near Newent, which isn't too far away. Hopefully I should hear back from the Gloucester one soon, as it is the one I know best. Am I right in thinking I may be able to shoot there without a certificate, until I get one?

I've been on the CPSA website and have found the details of some local clubs. I've e-mailed the chap at Gloucester clay shooting club, and also found one I didn't know about near Newent, which isn't too far away. Hopefully I should hear back from the Gloucester one soon, as it is the one I know best. Am I right in thinking I may be able to shoot there without a certificate, until I get one?

You will be able to shoot but until you get your cert' you will be accompanied by a member of staff whilst doing so, :angry: , pain I know but it's the rules!

That's no bad thing. I think it's good that novices should be closely watched, at least until they have been taught safe gun handling. You don't get second chances when mistakes are made with such powerful guns! I feel I would be ok on my own. I have been taught gun safety from an early age with my air rifles. That said, I have nothing against being accompanied for a while until I'm more used to shotguns. I understand shotguns are very different to rifles in the way they are pointed rather than aimed, so I wouldn't mind a few pointers on stance and how I mount the gun. If they pick holes in my gun handling, that's fine if it will make me a safer shot :yes: