what pellet to use

ninja926

Hollow point pellets are not very accurate at other than close/medium range.

Try some of the following dome shaped pellets. RWS superdomes / superfields H&N field and target trophy or Airarms field diablos , its likely you may need to try a few different ones to see what your barrel likes but any of the ones suggested will be a good starting point , once you have found one that groups well stick to it.

Yep as above really! I do us the hollow point pellets, but only for sub 20yd ratting. You don't get the problem of pellets going straight through, but anything above 20yds and they do get a bit wayward! H&N and AA domes produce the best results in my S510; I found the power was 1ft/lb lower with the RWS, but I'm being picky! Have a look at the Crosman domes as well, as they tend to be a touch cheaper with no accuracy loss for some people. You'll have to get something that works in your barrel, so shop around a bit. Some gun shops do mixture starter packs, so it might be worth asking at your local to see if they do anything like that.

whatever you do, RESIST THE URGE to try out the pointed fellows; they're not worth it. Likewise with any of the weird copper coated pellets. They're supposed to give more stopping power, but I've never really noticed a difference in them and apparently there's a risk of leaving copper deposits on the inside of the barrel, although I never used mine long enough to find out!

ive been to my local gun shop and been on the range and had it chrono with rws super domes 8.3 grain chrono readings 1st 9.599 2nd 9.6449 3rd 9.6459 4th 9.7045 and aa superdomes 8.4 grain readings are 1st

11.183 2nd 11.249 3rd 11.195 4th 11.149 and bought some andd went on the range adjusted my scope and the difference is outstanding and thhe fps is just under 800 i think the guy says overall very happy thanks for your help with this guys

does weight of pellet have anything to do with accuacy

in totally calm conditions, with no wind, then no, not really. Accuracy is about consistency of the variables, which is why regulators can be useful on an air rifle. If your gun sends down the pellet at exactly the same figures pellet on pellet, and the pellets are a good quality - thus consistent in size and weight - you're going to be consistently accurate, regardless of the weight of the pellet (assuming you're a good shot that is!). That is all once you have zeroed the rifle with that pellet.

lighter pellets give a flatter trajectory, which means that they are more forgiving if you estimate the range slightly wrong. the heavier the pellet, the more loopy the path. so .177 gives the flattest trajectory, then .20 .22 .25 etc, with the Daystate .303, which probably does complete circles!

However, whilst you get more forgiveness with vertical movement, lighter pellets are far more susceptible to horizontal movement. i.e. wind. So if it's a windy day, heavier pellets hold their line a little better.

Essentially, accuracy is far more about knowing your aim points (where your pellet will be at a particular range based on your scope's zeroing point) and reading weather conditions than the weight of your pellet. A good marksman will be accurate whether the pellet is a 7.9gr .177 or a 50gr .303 pellet!

As a preference, I use the 8.64 gr H&N FTT's, but for bunny bashing, I have recently switched over to the heavier 10.50 Bisley Magnums, and am getting some great results with them! They seem a nice compromise with a flat trajectory but good heavy stopping power as well!

Edited by chrisjpainter

ive just bought a bsa lighting xl .177 mainly going to be used for hunting rabbits etc been putting threw the barrel rws holopoint but dont no if i should be using something a little heavier for good groupings as been struggling with group any help grateful

A Springer works better with a lighter pellet

Less Strain -

A well placed domed pellet @ 7.50 Grains will stop most Air Gun Vermin

If hitting the right place

If it can knock down a Reset target it can Stop Vermin -

Check out Defiant Laerge 4.52 Head Size

boxed in 1,000 Boxes - Was Designed and Tested for most BSA Gun's -

BOB/R

www.defiantpellets.com