Oiled finish........

ziplex

Time is ticking by chaps and i'll be looking to buy my first shotgun soon. I do like the Beretta Silver Pigeon 3 and the White Onyx, (wish it came with 28" barrels though), and have yet to shoot a semi so that is still a possibility too. My question is that if I decide on a White Onyx or a Beretta semi it seems they have 'X-tra wood' finishes so that's it, no facility to fiddle. If the gun I decide on has a varnished finish, (perhaps secondhand), how many have been happy with the stripping and re oiling procedure.....honestly!? Like most of you I imagine the finish on a nice gun is important? I've not looked too long and hard at the SP3 up 'til now so it's a matter of finding a good one with nice graining etc. should I decide on one.

You're thoughts.............

have done all my own stocks and am very proud of them, its hard work for the first time but the reward is there for all to see when your out.

nothing tops a well finished stock i can tell you, i have a couple of the Xwood Berretas, they are work guns only, the stock is practicul if not pretty , the better guns i keep for the competitions.

if you need any pointers give me a shgout, be only to pleased to help.

Martin

Thanks for that Martin, i've dabled with tables etc over the years but if required on a gun I will want to do a 'proper job', dependant on choice of gun I may well take you up on the offer.......... :good:

Zippy, one of my mates does stocks if you take it off the action he will be able to strip and re oil it for you if you want.

If you want contact details PM me and Ill put you in touch...

One thing to consider BEFORE you start is what is underneath the varnish. All too often the wood will not take the stain to make it look as good as the v arnish finish because the colour was added in the varnish. Cheap walnut so often used on these guns often ends up being difficult to enhance the grain and give a pleasant coulour.

However if you decide to go ahead...............................

It will only take 1/2 hour to scrap the varnish off with a Stanley Blade - hold between finger and thumb at about 45degrees and pull towards you with the grain.

Get a couple of the curved ones as well for around the comb annd the grip. Finish with Wet and Dry paper (the grit doesnt fall off like it does with sandpaper/glasspaper) and go through 180, 320, and 400 - again with the grain. if you are oil finishing also use 600. Whisker at least twice and use stopper then grain filler and a good oil finish.

Otherwise if you have or can borrow a spray gun buy some 'Cellulose Blending Clear' and spray with that. 90% thinners for first 2 coats then mask the checkering with masking tape - then 55% thinners for the next 8-10 LIGHT coats at 10 min intervals. Wire wool (min 4 nought pref 5 nought) with the grain and then buff by using a spot of 3 in 1 oil in the palm of each hand and rub well with the grain. At 2 feet you wont tell the difference from an oil finish and it will all be done in a morning.

mry is correct in saying that you need to be sure what is underneath before you take the plunge, so companies now include 'grain' a dye in the varnish to enhance the appearance of the wood underneath :good:

I have a 'how to' pinned in the DIY section with some pictures, having done a couple I would disagree with the use of anything metal to remove the varnish, just use Nitromors and a bit of patience.

Don't forget to do some before and after pics if go for it :/

mry is correct in saying that you need to be sure what is underneath before you take the plunge, so companies now include 'grain' a dye in the varnish to enhance the appearance of the wood underneath :good:

I have a 'how to' pinned in the DIY section with some pictures, having done a couple I would disagree with the use of anything metal to remove the varnish, just use Nitromors and a bit of patience.

Hadn't noticed that.....................many thanks ;)

Spray on Nitromorse will strip the varnish off, there are 3 different types, I go for the one in the green tin..

Just about to re-do the paint work on my Harrier X2. New cammo patern as the one last year has had a good hammering......few dings and scratches.

Apply mr Morse to the stock, and leave. The varnish will blister. I use wire wool to assist with the stripping off, and a handy little tool is a suede brush, gets into all of the chequering.

A couple of sprays and rub downs and your will have a bear stock in a couple of hours. Reduce the wire wool down to a "fine" coarse and job done.

I then use a spray paint primer, do about 3 or 4 coats, rub down with fine wire wool inbetween each. allowing adequate time for drying between coats.........usualy a day between each.

Cammo is then applied and blended accordingly.........spray laquer is applied at a distance after giving the final coats a rub down to "matt" the finish.......

The laquer is sprayed at a distance as it almost dries before it hits the stock, this also helps to Matt the finish......

Ill post some pics once its done, and possibly some step by steps....

Spray on Nitromorse will strip the varnish off, there are 3 different types, I go for the one in the green tin..

Just about to re-do the paint work on my Harrier X2. New cammo patern as the one last year has had a good hammering......few dings and scratches.

Apply mr Morse to the stock, and leave. The varnish will blister. I use wire wool to assist with the stripping off, and a handy little tool is a suede brush, gets into all of the chequering.

A couple of sprays and rub downs and your will have a bear stock in a couple of hours. Reduce the wire wool down to a "fine" coarse and job done.

I then use a spray paint primer, do about 3 or 4 coats, rub down with fine wire wool inbetween each. allowing adequate time for drying between coats.........usualy a day between each.

Cammo is then applied and blended accordingly.........spray laquer is applied at a distance after giving the final coats a rub down to "matt" the finish.......

The laquer is sprayed at a distance as it almost dries before it hits the stock, this also helps to Matt the finish......

Ill post some pics once its done, and possibly some step by steps....

Look forward to it............!

this will make you all laugh...............

Today I started to strip down the previous spray cammo finish on my stock.

Started off with a general rub down with some sand paper to get rid of a couple of dings...

Then sprayed the stock with Mr Nitromorse in green tin............

Left for about an hour and then went onto the coarse wire wool.............

Was ripping a big chunk of wool off the bail then felt a real nice shooting pain going over my finger.........

looked down............................................................................

OH DEAR.................................

Infact,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh dear oh dear..................................deary deary me....................oh dear............oh ******.........

Ran into the kitchen..............grab hold of 1st aid kit...............1 medium dressing, 1 eye patch dressing and it was jump in the car down to casualty....

3 hours later, 1 xray, 1 tetanus, 3 steri strip "stiches" and 2 nurses later and lancs lad is back at home on the sofa typing this with a heavily bandaged finger..................

and it hurts.............................and no sympathy from the wife either... :angry::no: